Teach English in Beijing
Compensation and salary
If you are ready to work hard, be sure, that English teaching jobs in Beijing can be extremely beneficial not only on a cultural level but in terms of finance, since a good worker always gets a lot more, than a basic salary.
- Salary up to 16,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.)
- Free accommodation
- Help with visa and documentation
- 11+13 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance etc.)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Free courses of Mandarin Chinese
- Bi-annual certification
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Beijing
- Training courses
- State/private schools
Education system in Beijing
The education system in China is similar to the one, we got used to in Western countries: studies begin in September (or late August), the spring semester starts just after the Spring Festival (around March). Since it’s a big city and there is a great demand for foreigners; if you are interested in teaching English in Beijing, you don’t necessarily have to come here in the fall. In fact, you can sign a contract whenever you come, because they usually hire teachers every month at training schools (there are lots of new students and groups in need of a teacher).
If you wish to start in September, we advise you to apply several months in advance (February-May), if you want to start after the New Year, contact us around January. In this case, you’ll have plenty of time to get a work visa and do all the necessary preparations.
Types of jobs
It’s also important to choose wisely the place you want to work at because training courses and public schools tend to have very different conditions: there can be up to 50 children in your class, if you teach at a state school, while training centers limit the number to 20. It doesn’t necessarily mean, that going to a big class is a bad idea – it’s not. There are a lot of ESL jobs in Beijing schools and there are teachers, eager to work in an authentic Chinese environment, dealing with average students at an ordinary school. It really depends on your experience, abilities, and wishes.
The average salary is around 11,000-13,000 RMB ($1,600-2000) per month, but it really depends on the school, your level, and your schedule. There are international courses, offering up to 18,000 RMB ($2,600).
Normally, Beijing international school jobs offer a 5-day workweek with about 20 or 25 classes in total. You stay at home or travel on weekends, plus you have holidays and extra days off. Some centers need weekend teachers, especially if there are groups of adult students, but it’s the kind of question, that is asked before you are hired, so nobody will make you go to the office on Sunday if you don’t want to.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Beijing
So, what exactly will you be expected to do? Usually, responsibilities are very typical for all language courses and public schools:
- Teach Monday-Friday till 4 pm or 8 pm (if your day starts in the afternoon)
- 20-25 classes per week
- Maximum 15 prep hours
- Up to 20 students in the class (50 for state schools)
- Use modern technologies and approaches in class
- Develop students’ speaking and listening skills in the first place
- Do lesson planning, provide feedback, answer students’ questions
- Attend school meetings, observe others’ classes, training
- Do demo classes, presentations
One of the reasons, why you can put a significant amount of money by, doing jobs in Beijing China, is that foreigners get free housing (or a monthly allowance from the school, that will cover the biggest part of the rent if not all). Once you’ve discussed all work-related questions and have got your Z visa, we contact local estate agents and start looking for a place for you to live.
- You will choose the one you like. We’ll send you pictures of the apartments and you’ll pick the best one.
- You won’t have to pay for it yourself. Our agency and the school will deal with it.
- Do you want to live alone? Some teachers do, others come with their families, and there are people, who want to share the apartment with a fellow teacher. It’s also a great way to save some money if you have a monthly allowance.
- It will be well situated. Don’t worry, you won’t be sent to a far end of the capital and have to spend an eternity to get to work. Our clients teaching in Beijing get places near the school and in nice districts, so that they could spend more time outside, go out and meet new people.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have academic degree, TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in more than 60 cities around China.
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Creativity, diligence, good communication skills, patience and interest for Chinese culture,
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
1 or 2 years of prior experience
- Age: 18 - 45
Apply Now to Teach English in Beijing
What do you say? If it sounds interesting to you, contact us and we will call you back within 24 hours, offering a few schools, where you could teach in Beijing. For this, we will need the following documents:
- Your CV
- Cover letter
- Recent photo of you
- Preferences for schedule and students (age)
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.