Teach English in Foshan
Compensation and salary
Teaching English in Foshan is highly remunerative because you get both international experience and good money, plus don’t forget about benefits on top of it:
- Monthly salary 9,000-21,000 RMB for full-time positions
- Extra perks if you sign a 24-month contract right away
- Salary increase + yearly bonuses for teachers who stay with the employer
- Free accommodation within walking distance of the workplace
- Help with Z visa and reimbursement of all related expenses
- Welcome pack (SIM card, monthly bus pass, help with bank account etc.)
- 13+15 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after the end of the contract (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Airport pickup
- Free health insurance (including Dental)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Extra pay for signing subsequent contracts
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Well-equipped classrooms
- Teaching assistant provided at public schools
- Support and training throughout the year
- Salary increase for each subsequent contract
- 18 paid days off + 6 unpaid days per 1-year contract
- Free TEFL (jobs in Foshan offer it if you are not certified)
- Cultural events
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Foshan
- State and private schools
- ESL centers
As practically everywhere in the country, public school jobs in Foshan are the most numerous on the market. Foreigners interested in teaching English in China are accepted without a degree, experience or certification.
However, we remind you that it’s a government requirement to possess at least a Bachelor’s diploma in order to apply for a work visa, so a degree is necessary.
Experience and TEFL are preferred, but not really obligatory: it’s common for jobs for foreigners in Foshan to accept fresh graduates and enthusiasts, especially if they are natives.
What is expected of you in the workplace?
Both adults and children want you to be creative: fun activities, games, drawing, theater, and role-playing, watching videos and discussing them are the things they appreciate a lot.
Positive mood, humor and original teaching materials and tasks are very welcome, but you can also use the games and activities, developed by the school.
Teaching jobs in Foshan let you choose between adult students and younger learners, it might be difficult unless you have prior experience with any of them.
Sometimes a TEFL course helps define your profile because you normally get 6+ hours of real-life practice.
What is the typical schedule like?
Depending on the type of learners you get and some other things (school, your preferences, contract), you can either have evening kind of schedule with free mornings and busy afternoons, or typical 8 am – 5 pm working hours.
Teaching jobs for foreigners in Foshan are not all similar: at international courses, you are required to teach at late hours, often till 9 pm, but on the other hand, you get to stay in bed longer and go to work after 2 pm.
In this case, Saturdays and Sundays are also workdays for you: there are many adult groups scheduled, and students usually want to benefit from their weekends to learn more intensively. Teachers still get days off, but these fall on some other days of the week.
Whenever you stumble across a vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Foshan, the difference is evident: weekends off, morning classes starting at 8 am (sometimes at 7 am), 2-hour lunch+nap break, then classes till 5 pm or 5:30 pm.
Part-time positions with less than 40 working hours per week are also available.
How much can you earn in Foshan?
When you teach English in China salary depends on the school and the region – in Foshan jobs for foreigners are a catch, because being an experienced mentor living in Foshan you can earn up to 21,000 RMB ($3,100) and still get free housing and other benefits, even though cost of living here is quite cheap.
Beginners can count on slightly more modest wages – 8,500 – 10,000 RMB ($1,200 – $1,500), which is still great and will provide you with a comfortable living.
Even with a “minimum” salary, a foreigner teaching in Foshan can afford a lot: eating out, parties, comfort, trips, and savings.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Foshan
- Teach children or adults
- 5 days per week, 2 days off
- Up to 60 students per class (maximum 20 for Foshan international school jobs)
- 13-30 teaching hours weekly
- Minimum office hours, no required at some schools
- Use a modern approach in teaching
- Enhance creativity, speaking skills and listening
- Plan lessons, check tests
- Help other teachers with placement tests if needed
- Attend school meetings and events
- Do demo lessons and presentations
Rent is usually between $100 and $270, but English teaching jobs in Foshan provide teachers with free apartments or offer an allowance to cover up to 100% of it. This saves you extra money for entertainment and travel.
Since finding an apartment in Foshan can be tricky if you don’t speak the local language, a Chinese estate agent will contact you to help through the entire process.
- Photos and details about available apartments will be sent to you.
- All variants are Western style, cozy, with all the necessary furniture and equipment, so you won’t have to buy anything.
- We pre-select the safest Foshan neighborhoods close to the school so that you wouldn’t have to spend too much time in traffic.
- Bills are usually on you – in Foshan utilities cost around $55 – $57 per month.
Qualifications & Skills
Here is a list of the latest requirements to teach English in China in 2019:
- 21+ years old
- Native or non-native with good English skills
- TEFL required (but international school Foshan jobs let you get certified at the expense of the employer)
- Readiness to sign a 12-month contract
- Above 1 year of experience is preferred
- Passion for teaching, creative thinking, cultural awareness, interest for China
- Bachelor’s degree is not necessary but would be a great benefit.
Apply Now to Teach English in Foshan
If you like Foshan, let us know by emailing these documents:
- Cover letter
- Your photo
- Preferences (learners’ age, schedule)
- Availability date
Get the application in and we will find a perfect place for you to teach English in Foshan!
Apply at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.