Teach English in Fuzhou
Compensation and salary
Although, teaching English in Fuzhou can be a little hard at times: you’ll be required to spend long hours at the school working in class and at different meetings, benefits are totally worth it:
- Monthly salary from 8,000 RMB to 14,000 RMB (experienced employees earn more)
- Overtime pay is negotiable
- Salary increase + yearly bonuses for teachers who stay with the employer
- Free accommodation within walking distance of the workplace
- Help with the legal Z visa
- 13+15 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after the end of the contract (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card etc.)
- Free health insurance (including Dental)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Extra pay for signing subsequent contracts
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Well-equipped classrooms
- Teaching resources and materials
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- TEFL training available upon arrival for international school Fuzhou jobs
- Salary increase for each subsequent contract
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Fuzhou
- Public and private schools
- International ESL centers
Willing to teach at a school in Fuzhou? No matter how qualified you are, it’s an easy way to spend a year traveling around China and making money.
English-speaking foreigners can apply for positions at any kind of institution, but they are in the highest demand at kindergartens and diverse courses for young learners (3 – 8 y.o.)
Most employers don’t bother about nationality: there are lots of teaching jobs in China for non-native speakers, even if you keep seeing “native speaker” in the list of requirements.
The point that matters is your ability to transmit your knowledge, offer fun and interactive classes and let your students start speaking and feel confident. Creativity and positivity are crucial!
Is prior experience necessary?
It’s sure a good thing to know what TEFL is about, but in order to work in Fuzhou as an English teacher, you don’t have to be experienced or possess any special diplomas.
However, a foreigner can’t teach English in China with no degree, that’s a law. The thing is that it can be in anything – not obligatorily in education or linguistics.
On the other hand, if you don’t have a TEFL, jobs in Fuzhou will provide training for free. You can either complete it online or after your arrival to China.
What is the typical schedule like?
Depending on the type of students and your preferences, you can choose between morning classes and evening + weekend teaching.
Typically, if you look at a vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Fuzhou, you’ll see, that the requirement is to be available 5 days a week from 8 am to 5 pm. Sometimes you get to finish earlier, but your evenings are always free.
Public school mentors also have Saturdays and Sundays off work, which means, that you can plan activities with friends or escape from the city to travel around the region.
The truth about teaching English in China is that class sizes also depend on the type of institution: at state schools, they tend to be bigger, up to 50 people.
It’s vital to be ready to deal with this many students at once, especially if they are teens or young children.
However, Chinese kids are more disciplined and well-behaved, than European or American students, so don’t worry.
Plus, all foreigners teaching English at a Chinese school get a local assistant to help handle the class and prepare for it (copies, necessary materials).
At language courses, you mostly get to work with adults and children, but in way smaller groups – usually around 20 people per class.
But in this case, you’ll be required to work late hours (till 9 pm daily) and agree to teach on weekends, because that’s when they have the most students. You’ll have days off, of course, but they will fall on weekdays.
How much can you earn in Fuzhou?
Worried about how much you’ll earn if you teach English in China? Salaries in Fuzhou are quite decent.
Chances are, an inexperienced educator may get as much as 8,000 RMB ($1,200) per month, but qualified teachers applying for Fuzhou teaching jobs will get between 10,000 RMB and 14,000 RMB ($1,500 – $2,000) on average.
Note, that professionals can always negotiate better wages, if they are certified and have a good level and teaching skills. In any case, living in Fuzhou as a foreigner you don’t think about surviving, but about enjoying life, eating out and plenty of trips, which you can afford even with minimum wages.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Fuzhou
- 20-25 teaching hours
- Up to 10 office hours (preparation, demos, meetings, homework/test check)
- Monday-Friday for ESL public school jobs in Fuzhou
- Evenings and weekend classes at international schools
- Teach children/adults
- Provide quality classes, use up-to-date audio/video materials
- Make students practice a lot and gain confidence in speaking English
- Check tests, homework, provide written feedback
- Perform demo lessons, conversation clubs
- Attend school meetings and social events
Housing in the city is not very expensive: most one-bedroom apartments cost between $295 and $328 per month, but the good news is that you won’t have to bother because most schools provide you with a place to live for free.
This means, that you can save this money and spend it on entertainment. Finding an apartment in Fuzhou will not be a difficult task:
- All jobs in Fuzhou offer several options for the housing. A professional estate agent will be in charge to look for a place for you.
- All apartments for foreigners are Western style, modern, furnished and equipped. You’ll get to see pictures and pick the one you prefer.
- Employees get to live in safe and calm Fuzhou neighborhoods only, not far from the school and shops.
Note, that you’ll still have to pay for utilities, because many schools don’t cover these expenses, but the amount is ridiculously low: $36 – $44 per month.
Qualifications & Skills
Here are the basic requirements to teach English in China in 2019:
- Bachelor’s degree (any field)
- 120+ hours TEFL certificate (English teaching jobs in Fuzhou may offer free training if you need it)
- 20+ years old
- Availability to complete a 12-month contract
- Preferably a native speaker
- Teaching experience will be a plus
- Open-minded, easy-going, creative, culturally aware and passionate about teaching
Apply Now to Teach English in Fuzhou
Do you like Fuzhou? Let us know by sending these:
- Your CV
- Cover letter
- Recent photo of you
- Preferences for schedule and students (age)
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Submit your application today and we’ll find a place for you to teach English in Fuzhou very soon!