Teach English in Hangzhou
Compensation and salary
Hard work and devotion are highly valued in China, so foreign teachers get extra bonuses on top of their monthly wages, which normally ranges from 10,000 to 15,000 RMB ($1,500 – $2,200).
- Flight ticket reimbursement: 6,000 RMB (per contract)
- Contract completion bonus
- Free accommodation or allowance
- Free lunches at school (sometimes breakfasts and dinners included)
- Z visa and assistance
- Airport pickup and guided tour around the city
- Health insurance
- Welcome pack (SIM card, public transport monthly ticket, help with a bank account)
- Training upon arrival (up to 3 days)
- Free TEFL online (if you don’t have any)
- Free classes of Chinese Mandarin
- 3 to 8 weeks of holidays per contract (depending on the duration)
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Hangzhou
- Public primary and middle schools
- Training centers
Teaching in kindergartens
As everywhere in China, children aged from 3 to 18 years are the main clients of a foreign teacher. Public school jobs in Hangzhou often need qualified teachers, who could handle a large class (up to 50 students).
This might be challenging, but quite fun for an experienced professional because with huge groups you can try some mini theater playing, games, and creative activities. However, if you plan to start teaching English in China with no experience, a state school might not do for you, since it requires a lot of self-control, discipline, and skills.
Teaching in schools
Some people say that ESL public school jobs in Hangzhou are tiresome and don’t encourage creative thinking – that’s not true! You might be tempted to turn to classic methods like reading aloud and doing endless exercises sometimes, because an English class is not meant to be 100% about fun and play, but don’t get lazy – students love it when a foreign teacher invests his time and effort into inventing educational materials and brings diversity in class. Inspiring students always pays off!
It’s really not hard to find a decent vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, but employers usually prefer mentors with experience with young learners and those having special certification.
In spite of the difficulties, connected with the number of students, there is a great perk about working at a state school – your schedule will be stable, you’ll get weekends off and some extra days off. Plus you will end work earlier – by 4 or 5 pm, which will let you take walks around the city, go sightseeing and enjoy your free evenings with friends.
Some of our clients ask: ‘Is it possible to teach adults in Hangzhou?’ because they don’t feel like working with kindergarten children or teens. Well, yes, sure! In a city with 13 million inhabitants, you can get the job you want.
In fact, there are two main factors here – working hours and type of students. Instructors who prefer adults get calmer and more focused students, who usually need less attention and control. On the other hand, teachers from abroad who choose such groups, often have to work during the weekend, because most adults get some free time on Saturdays/Sundays and are willing to use it for studies.
Plus, when you work in Hangzhou as an English teacher at a training center, be ready to get home at about 9 or 10 pm, since classes for adults tend to begin later and last till 8 pm or 9 pm.
Of course, you still get 2 days off during the week and if you choose those schedules, you get rewarded by not having to wake up early – typically, classes start in the afternoon, so a night owl will be able to get enough sleep, no worries.
The truth about salary
The truth about teaching English in China is that it might be slightly different from all your previous experience, but it’s totally worth it. Plus, you are normally treated as a dear guest, you get paid very well, benefit from bonuses and extra days off, and everyone tries to help you.
When it comes to salary, ESL teaching jobs in Hangzhou are among the top best-paid positions. Wages in the city can attain $3,000 per month, average ones being between $1,500 and $2,300. It might not seem a lot at first, but if you consider the workweek and the cost of living, you’ll be surprised by how beneficial it really is.
Of course, the pay depends on your actual qualifications and abilities: positions for non-natives and jobs for students in Hangzhou, Zhejiang are not paid as well as the ones for natives. However, you still get the bonuses and allowances, so there is really no discrimination here.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Hangzhou
These are usually very alike for many teaching abroad programs for certified teachers:
- Teach from 15 to 50 students in the class
- 20 teaching hours + up to 15 prep hours
- Attend teachers’ meetings, training
- Help with placement testing
- Plan lessons, conversation clubs
- Provide feedback, answer students’ questions
- Use up-to-date materials, authentic video, and audio recordings
- Role-playing, games, creative activities in class
- Enhance students’ listening and speaking skills (important and difficult part of teaching English at a Chinese school)
- Perform demo lessons and presentations
- Attend school social and cultural events
As you already know, ESL jobs in Hangzhou provide free housing. This means that you’ll get to live in an apartment for free (your bills will be paid by the school as well).
- You choose your place: district, style, number of rooms.
- Do you want to have a flatmate? You can get a bigger apartment if you share it with a fellow teacher.
- All apartments are well situated and close to the school. You won’t spend a lot of time in the subway, getting to work or on your way home. Tourist attractions, restaurants, and shops won’t be far from your place.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have a TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in more than 60 cities around China.
- TEFL certificate preferred (apply for Hangzhou teaching jobs and get a free online one)
- Native speaker preferred/non-native with a fluent language and a degree from an English-speaking university
- Able to commit to a 12 or 22-month contract
- Clean background check
- Creative, inventive, enthusiastic, passionate about Chinese culture
Apply Now to Teach English in Hangzhou
Do you like the idea? Leave us your contact details and the following documents:
- Recent photo of you
- Cover letter
- Preferred schedule and type of students
- When are you ready to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Get your application in today and teach English in Shanghai with one of the leading schools in the city.