Teach English in Hong Kong
Compensation and salary
- Salary up to 30,000 HKD (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English, etc.)
- Free accommodation
- Help with visa
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- 11+15 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance, etc.)
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Hong Kong
- International kindergartens and schools
- Private colleges
- Language centers
- Short-term courses and workshops
When a teacher starts thinking about teaching English abroad, he or she always pay great attention to ESL jobs in Hong Kong.
It is one of the most popular and desirable locations.
This city is significantly developed, and a teacher will be able to grow not only as s professional but explore new cultural horizons too.
So far as Hong Kong is Special Administrative Region and former British colony, English teachers are highly demanded there.
If you check job seeking websites you can find that regular salary for ESL teaching jobs in Hong Kong starts from 19000 HKD (2400$) and may increase up to 22000 HKD (2900$).
Also, some employer will provide you with bonuses for extra hours or excellent results.
Thus English teacher in Hong Kong can earn up to 4000$ monthly!
But vacancies with such a high salary usually have strict requirements, and you will need TEFL/CELTA certificate and relevant experience in teaching English abroad.
Teaching in kindergartens and schools
If you are looking for English teaching jobs in Hong Kong, you may be interested in vacancies in international kindergartens and schools.
Because their primary requirements are NET (Native English Teacher) and a strong willingness to share your knowledge with children.
Also, it is the best variant among all jobs for students in Hong Kong, Zhejiang, because young and passionate teacher understands children and have enough energy to communicate with them many hours.
The good news is that unlike China’s public kindergartens and schools, in international institutions student groups are smaller, and children have all lessons in English.
In typical kindergarten, the age of your students will be 2-5 years old. So you will need to be patient and very careful because you will teach them the basics and create their strong ability to use English in everyday life.
Or if you prefer international school Hong Kong jobs, the age of your students may vary from 8-16 years and children have already had a basic level of English.
So you will need to be ready to correct their mistakes, re-teach if it is necessary, and give them in-depth knowledge.
Teaching in private colleges and institutions
Hong Kong city is the place where you can find many vacancies in different private institutions.
Many organizations like Baptist and Christian Churches are becoming more and more popular there.
It is because their education is affordable and qualitative and they have proper financing, as well as many volunteers.
Thus they always look for talented English teachers that can work with children and want to take part in their events.
If you consider teaching English in Hong Kong in Private College, your work will be pretty the same as in any public school.
The main difference is that groups may be divided by gender in Baptist or Christian colleges.
But it may be a great plus because it will be easier to hold the discipline in the class and choose themes that will be interesting for all students in the group.
ESL public school jobs in Hong Kong and jobs in private organizations will have a very similar schedule for a teacher.
You will work 5 days per week and have classic weekends.
So you will have the opportunity to attend all the interesting events that usually take place on Saturday and Sunday.
Usually, lessons in kindergartens and schools begin at 8-9am in the morning, and you will end your working day at about 5 pm.
The big plus of this work is that you have enough time for yourself in the evenings and can go for a walk, visit restaurants or expat bars and relax before another working day.
Is it possible to teach adults in Hong Kong?
If you want to work with adults, you need to choose ESL teaching jobs in Hong Kong in Language Training Centers.
And it is not a problem at all! There are many educational centers that have long-term English programs.
But work with adults has pros and cons and you need to be prepared for it.
Your work hours will be in the evening because your students can study only after their working day.
So you will have free mornings when you can drink a cup of coffee, go for a walk to the nearest café, etc.
This schedule is really ideal for owls because you don’t need to get up early.
One of the most inconvenient disadvantages of this work is that you will work on Saturday and Sunday.
Adult students usually prefer to attend English classes on their weekends so you will have two free days in the middle of the week.
Workshops and short-term courses
Hong Kong teaching jobs are very diverse, because of the high demand.
And if in other places it is almost impossible to find a short-term vacancy, in Hong Kong Zhejiang province you can find many English workshops, courses, and summer programs.
They are very popular among students and adults because they are always short of time. And 3-month intensive course can significantly boost their English level.
But this variant of education is accessible for children too, because English lessons may be the part of the educational program of their summer camp.
In this case, you will need to take part in inventing exciting games, sing songs and create a mini-theatre with your students.
As you can see teach at a school in Hong Kong is not the only option for an English teacher in China.
But bear in mind, that you will need a valid work permit for short-term jobs too.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Hong Kong?
Different employers have their own model of the working process and requirements for teachers.
But almost all teaching jobs for foreigners in Hong Kong have basic requirements like this:
- 5/2 working schedule
- 40 working hours (25 teaching hours + 15 prep)
- From 10 to 50 students in the group (private or public school)
- Use the teaching program
- Provide feedback to employer, students and their parents
- Take part in teachers meetings and events
It is a common practice, that employer provides you with free housing if you find a long-term job of English teacher abroad.
There are a few options of how your employer can help you with accommodation:
- Provide you with a nice single flat near the school so you will not spend much time going to and from work
- Provide you with a monthly allowance so you will need to rent an apartment yourself and communicate with a landlord
- Also, you can choose an option to live with the flatmate. Sometimes it is the best way to solve the problem with accommodation because your employer provides you with the bigger flat + you can find a new friend.
All of these options are really very convenient because you will not need to spend your salary to rent a flat.
And you will have the opportunity to choose where to live in all three cases because you will be provided with photos of all options.
Qualifications & Skills
- TEFL certificate preferred
- Native speaker with fluent language
- Master's Degree in English language or related field
- 25 or older
- Experience at teaching teenagers at least 2 years
- Able to commit to a 12 or 22-month contract
- Clean background check
- Creative, inventive, enthusiastic, passionate about Chinese culture
Apply Now to Teach English in Hong Kong
Do you like the idea? Leave us your contact details and the following documents:
- A recent photo of you
- Cover letter
- Preferred schedule and type of students
- When are you ready to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Get your application in today and teach English in Hong Kong with one of the leading schools in the city.