Teach English in Kunming
Compensation and salary
Teaching jobs for foreigners in Kunming may require a significant amount of time and energy, but they totally pay off: grateful students, little gifts and regular snacks on your table before the class are common.
But you also get bonuses from your employer on top of the salary:
- Salary up to 12,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.)
- Free accommodation or allowance up to 2,000 RMB
- Help with visa and documentation
- 11+13 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- School-paid trips for staff
- Promotion options within the school
- Welcome pack including a Chinese SIM, monthly bus pass, help create a bank account
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Full health insurance
- Possibility to get a free TEFL certificate
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Kunming
- Public institutions
- International schools
- Training courses
Interested in jobs for foreigners in Kunming? There are quite a few of these.
Foreigners who enjoy teaching young learners are permanently in extreme demand, because of the evergrowing number of children and kindergartens.
English speakers are needed everywhere, no matter if they are natives or just fluent – nowadays parents are crazy about early development and language learning!
If it’s your first job, don’t be afraid to apply to teach English in China: no experience doesn’t necessarily reduce your chances, unlike the absence of Bachelor’s degree, which might be a serious problem.
Fresh teachers, students, and enthusiasts are welcome, even without certificates and experience, because the only thing that counts for jobs in Kunming is your creativity, readiness to learn and good adaptation skills. Being passionate about languages and knowledge sharing is a must!
What is the schedule like?
Schedules differ a lot! Those, wondering “Is it possible to teach adults in Kunming?” have to be prepared for late classes and weekends at work because you can only teach grown-ups at language schools.
Weekends there are extremely busy. On the other hand, you won’t have to wake up early, as classes usually start around 3 pm, but last till 9 pm on weekdays.
The administration will fix two days off for you during the week, but chances are, there will be Monday and Tuesday, rather than Saturday-Sunday.
Kindergartens and ESL public school jobs in Kunming have a more regular schedule: Monday-Friday you are expected to start around 8 am (sometimes 7 am), then have a break at midday and continue till 5 pm.
Evening classes are not out of the question, but extremely rare. Weekends are off so that you could plan something with your friends and relax.
How much can you earn in Kunming?
It depends on different factors like qualification, certificates, experience and what school has to offer.
When you teach English in China salary is not a concern, because it’s almost impossible to get low pay and be unable to live comfortably.
Foreigners here earn between 9,500 RMB and 12,000 RMB ($968 – $1,750), as prices are quite low, with teaching jobs in Kunming you can afford everything from eating out to traveling outside China on vacation.
Usually, $350 – $400 is enough for basic needs, food, and some shopping, so you can save some money for gifts and flight tickets.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Kunming
- Up to 20 teaching hours, + 5 office hours per week
- 14 – 50 students per class (public school jobs in Kunming presuppose bigger classes than ESL courses)
- Lesson planning, test check
- Demos, ordinary classes, conversation clubs
- Attend school social events and staff meetings
- Enhance speaking in class
- Use audio material and games
- Provide feedback
- Placement testing and interviewing new students
Even though rent is very reasonable in Kunming, China is renowned for the generosity of its employers, who tend to cover 100% of charges and offer free housing to all newcomers.
This actually lets you save from $200 to $500 per month, depending on the size of the apartment.
Another good news is that you get to choose it all by yourself!
- Full assistance finding an apartment in Kunming: a Mandarin-speaking agent will look for a place and send you pictures of available options.
- Unique Western-style places with necessary equipment, furniture, and enough space.
- Peaceful and nice Kunming neighborhoods with a foreigner-friendly environment.
- Close to commercial areas, entertainment, and work.
- Private accommodation may get a roommate upon request.
Utilities are paid for by the foreigner teaching in Kunming but don’t worry, these charges normally don’t exceed $50.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in any field (preferred but not necessary)
- 120-hour TEFL (jobs in Kunming are ready to offer it for free)
- Any previous experience is an advantage
- Qualifications, additional skills are a plus
- Native speaker / good speaking and writing skills in English
- Ready to sign at least a 12-month contract
- Enthusiastic, culturally aware, open-minded, patient and creative
Apply Now to Teach English in Kunming
Does Kunming sound like your kind of place? Don’t lose a minute – we are waiting for these to get started:
- Cover letter
- Recent photo
- Preferences (teaching hours, students)
- Availability to begin work
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Submit your application and start to teach English in Kunming at a top school as soon as possible.