Teach English in Ningbo
Compensation and salary
ESL teaching jobs in Ningbo usually offer a good salary and a decent level of living. Plus, you get bonuses and extra money.
- Salary up to 16,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.)
- Free accommodation or allowance up to 2,000 RMB
- Help with visa and documentation
- 11+13 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- School-paid trips for staff
- Promotion options within the school
- Welcome pack including a Chinese SIM, monthly bus pass, help create a bank account
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Full health insurance
- Possibility to get a free TEFL certificate
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Ningbo
- Training centers
- Kindergartens and public schools
- Private institutions
Currently, the number of jobs for foreigners in Ningbo keeps increasing, especially in the field of ESL. Teachers for 3-12-year-olds are in the highest demand.
If you have at least some experience with this age group, your chances to get the job are very good.
Some schools accept applications only from experienced teachers, while in most cases you can teach English in China no experience the only criterion being your language level.
It’s vital to speak fluent English with a good accent, as you’ll have to communicate in this language with your students and colleagues.
Another important point is being creative and positive because that’s what is necessary when you are left face to face with a dozen small children.
But even if you are among those, who wonder «Is it possible to teach adults in Ningbo?», making classes fun, interactive and appealing is vital!
You are expected to make a difference from the «traditional» way of teaching, so conversation practice, games, videos and amusing activities are very welcome.
What is the typical schedule like?
It usually depends on the school and your students.
If you prefer younger learners, be ready for early morning classes (start at 8 am), but in this case, you will benefit from free weekends and evenings.
However, Ningbo international school jobs might have a different schedule, even if you choose to teach children: classes usually start in the afternoon and last till 9 pm. The main advantage there is the possibility to wake up later in the morning and come to work after 1 pm, which is ideal for night owls! Plus, you can teach adults groups there, which is why many foreign teachers choose to work at private centers.
International schools also offer a flexible schedule, where you can choose your days off because you will have to work on weekends. In any case, you will have 2 days off work every week!
How much can you earn in Ningbo?
Living in Ningbo, you get all the advantages a rich and developed city has to offer and earn good money.
Experienced natives can get as much as 25,000 RMB ($3,700) on a monthly basis, but teaching jobs in China for non-native speakers offer decent wages as well.
In this city, such teachers normally get between 10,000 RMB and 18,000 RMB, which corresponds to $1,400 and $2,600.
Such salary will not only put food on your table but also let you save considerable amounts of dollars for trips, eating out, entertainment and gifts for friends and family.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Ningbo
• Teach young children/teens/adult groups
• Up to 20 teaching hours
• Around 10-15 office hours
• 5-day work week with two days off (falling on weekends for public school jobs in Ningbo)
• Use up-to-date teaching approach and material provided by the school
• Enhance speaking skills
• Provide feedback, attend teacher-parent meetings
• Check homework and tests
• Help with placement testing
• Perform demos
• Attend school social events
Although rent is quite cheap in China and is between $220 and $360 per month in Ningbo, free housing is always good news, right?
Almost all schools offer it or pay a monthly allowance to foreigners who work in Ningbo as an English teacher.
This lets you save a few hundred on fun and traveling. However, you’ll still have to pay $43 – $55 for electricity and heating.
How does it work?
- As soon as your application is approved and you apply for a visa, it will be time to start looking for a place. A local estate agent will assist you with this, since finding an apartment in Ningbo can be challenging for someone who doesn’t speak the language.
- You will get to pick the one you like, looking through pictures of local apartments.
- All rentals are comfortable, Western style and fully equipped. No need to spend extra money on furniture or appliances.
- Before you come to teach at a school in Ningbo, we’ll make sure the apartment is located nearby, so that you wouldn’t spend hours on buses and subway.
- Our teachers live in safe Ningbo districts only with no risk of unpleasant or noisy neighbors.
Qualifications & Skills
Wonder what are the current requirements to teach English in China in 2019?
- Bachelor’s degree
- Preferably 21+ years old
- Native speaker or good level of spoken and written English
- TEFL (jobs in Ningbo offer free training if you are not certified)
- Candidates with 1+ years of experience are welcome
- Open-minded, creative, passionate about teaching and China
Apply Now to Teach English in Ningbo
Does Ningbo look like your kind of place? Send us the following documents to get started:
- Cover letter
- Recent photo
- Do you prefer young learners or adults
- Availability to begin work
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
We are waiting for your application! Get it in now and we will find a position to teach English in Ningbo for you.