Teach English in Qingdao
Compensation and salary
Most Qingdao English teaching jobs offer very decent wages, which include basic salary and a range of bonuses and free benefits.
- Monthly salary from 13,000 RMB to 20,500 RMB (experienced employees earn more)
- Extra perks if you sign a 24-month contract right away
- Salary increase + yearly bonuses for teachers who stay with the employer
- Free accommodation within walking distance of the workplace
- Help with Z visa and reimbursement of all related expenses
- Welcome pack (SIM card, bank account, 1-month transport pass)
- 13+15 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after the end of the contract (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Airport pickup
- Free health insurance (including Dental)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Extra pay for signing subsequent contracts
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Well-equipped classrooms
- Salary increase for each subsequent contract
- 18 paid days off + 6 unpaid days per 1-year contract
- Teacher pre-job and ongoing training and support
- Free 120+ hour TEFL certification online or in China (if needed)
- Cultural events
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Qingdao
- Public institutions
- International English courses
Planning to teach English in China with no experience?
Don’t worry, both fresh teachers and qualified professionals get something to choose from.
Positions at kindergartens and elementary school are among the most numerous ones, but you also have to be interested in working with such learners.
Passion and creativity will be needed here because fun and exciting activities are essential in class with 3-12 year-olds.
Is it possible to teach adults in Qingdao?
Many clients do ask this question. Certainly, it’s all up to you: select the convenient age group for your classes and mention it in your resume! You can find a suitable position at a college or language courses.
In fact, you have endless possibilities unless you want to start teaching English in China without a degree, which makes it impossible to get a Z visa.
What is the typical schedule like?
Working hours vary considerably from one school to another and depend on the numbers and the age of students.
Negotiate hours with the administration: if you agree to earn less, you can apply for a part-time job and have more time for trips.
If you happen to be interested in vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Qingdao, you got to be an early bird, because classes start around 8 am, but you will finish quite early – by 5 pm.
Weekends at home are guaranteed since public schools are usually closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
However, if you opt for language courses, things will be different: students are available after 3 pm or even 6 pm, which means that your workday will start in the late afternoon and finish after 8 pm.
Opting for such ESL teaching jobs in Qingdao, you’ve got to be ready for busy weekends as well: they have lots of adult groups on Saturdays. Don’t panic, your “weekend” will just fall on different days during the week.
How much can you earn in Qingdao?
Depending on your previous experience and ambitions, you can negotiate up to 22,000 RMB monthly, which equals $3,300 – not bad at all! Living in Qingdao as a foreigner with this kind of money you can afford almost anything, some people manage to purchase the property.
Starting salaries for Qingdao international school jobs are between 13,000 and 15,000 RMB ($1,900 – $2,200).
With free rent, you can actually live quite well with $150 – $250 per month, which means that you can put by a lot, while you stay in this city.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Qingdao
- 5 workdays per week
- Teach preschool children/teens or adults (for international school Qingdao jobs only)
- Class size: 11-20 students (can be more at public schools)
- Up to 25 hours of teaching
- Maximum 40 hours per week in total
- Lesson planning, checking tests and homework
- Do listening activities and develop communication skills
- Provide feedback
- Perform demos and presentations
- Attend school meetings
The average cost of local rentals is between 2,000 and 3,000 RMB ($300 – $400) per month, which is not very expensive.
However, the good news is that jobs for foreigners in Qingdao always include either an allowance or provide you with a free apartment.
For many positions the allowance doesn’t exceed 2,000 RMB, so:
- We will help you find an apartment in Qingdao within your budget.
- Chinese agents will send you pictures of available apartments so that you could choose yours. All of them are Western style, furnished and well-equipped.
- We only offer you placed from safe Qingdao neighborhoods, close to the school and shops.
- Save some money and accept someone teaching English at a Chinese school as a roommate: living with another foreigner can be useful, especially if you pick someone with previous Chinese experience who could show you around.
Don’t forget about the bills, which is $48 – $57 per month. The school won’t cover these expenses.
Qualifications & Skills
According to the updated requirements to teach English in Qingdao in 2019, these are obligatory:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in education, but it’s not mandatory)
- TEFL certificate (if you don’t have it yet, most teaching jobs for foreigners in Wuhan offer to pay for training)
- Ready to stay with the school for at least 12 months
- Preferably have 1+ year experience (especially with young learners)
- Friendly personality, easy-going, culturally aware, passionate about teaching
There are other requirements for candidates:
- Native speaker/possess a degree from an English-speaking country is an advantage
- Degree in education is a plus
- Experience with certain age groups (especially appreciated at kindergartens and public school jobs in Qingdao)
Apply Now to Teach English in Qingdao
Do you like Qingdao? Let us know by sending the following to our email address:
- Cover letter
- Your recent photo
- Preferences for teaching hours and students’ age
- Approximate start date
Don’t waste your time – get the application in now and we’ll make sure, you’ll teach English in Qingdao at a reputable school.
Apply at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.