Teach English in Shanghai
Compensation and salary
ESL jobs in China are well-paid and offer great bonuses to encourage their teachers to stay longer with the school.
Here is a list of what you are entitled to if you come to teach in Shanghai:
- Salary up to 17,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.)
- 11+13 days off per year
- Pickup at the airport, plus a guided tour around the city and your quarter
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Contract renewal bonus : 5,000 RMB
- Overtime wages: 200 RMB/hour
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses and extra money for summer classes
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Pre-job training
- Assistance on getting any legal documents you might need
- Health insurance
- Free accommodation
- Free TEFL certification
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Shanghai
- Public schools
- International institutions
- Language centers
- Kindergartens and Montessori schools
This city is the most populated place in China. This is why you don’t really need to do a lot of research to find a job in Shanghai – once you send your CV to our agency, employers will start contacting you.
Competition is higher for top institutions, but if you are an experienced professional, you’ll find something very soon.
The hardest part is to decide where you wish to work: let’s face it, not everyone is ready to handle a class of 30 or 50 Chinese teens. However, there are many foreigners, who are not afraid of the experience, while others prefer younger children or smaller groups, or love teaching adults.
It’s not only about the pleasure, but about schedules too: if you opt for adult groups, be ready to work on weekends and in the evening (usually till 8 pm).
Teaching English in Shanghai public schools or kindergartens is a better option for those, who like morning classes and enjoy finishing their workday in the afternoon (at about 4 pm).
In fact, most schools offer a typical schedule to all foreign teachers, which includes 5 workdays and 2 days off every week, but it may differ slightly depending on the school and the type of students you choose.
Minimum salaries are equal to 12,000 RMB ($1,750) and can reach 17,000 RMB ($2,500), depending on your qualification and previous experience. Also, employers tend to offer better conditions for jobs for native English speakers in Shanghai, because natives are valued here.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Shanghai
So, what exactly will you be expected to do? Usually, responsibilities are very typical for all language courses and public schools:
- Teach students of different ages (mostly children and teenagers)
- 10-15 students in the class
- 15-25 teaching hours per week
- 10-15 office hours to prepare for classes
- Provide written lesson plans
- Help with exams and placement tests
- Use modern approaches and up-to-date technologies in class (watching films, listening and singing songs)
- Encourage students to start speaking and improve their listening skills
- Regularly provide students with feedback and progress reports, answer questions
- Attend training, meetings
- Organize conversation classes, demos etc.
As a rule, Shanghai teaching jobs provide the hired specialist with free housing or offer a fixed monthly allowance (around $430). Our agency is there to help you choose the place you like and rent it before the arrival so that you wouldn’t have to look for a temporary place or book a hotel room.
- We will look for an apartment, that suits your needs. Is the family traveling with you or not? Ready to share the place with another teacher or wish to rent a private apartment? What kind of district and style do you prefer?
- You are going to choose the place yourself – we will send pictures of a few available apartments and answer your questions.
- The school will pay for it, so you rent whatever you like.
- We only offer apartments in safe districts, not far from metro stations/ bus stops, so that getting to work or going out afterward would be easy and as fast as possible.
Since rent is a bit more expensive here than in some other cities, many foreigners teaching in Shanghai stick to flat-sharing: its cheap (will surely be covered by the monthly allowance) and more fun, because you don’t feel lonely and have someone by your side. It may be useful if your flatmate has lived in the city for some time and already knows ins and outs of how things work.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have a TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in more than 60 cities around China.
- Bachelor’s academic degree
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Passion for teaching, indulgence, genuine interest for Chinese culture and an open mind
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
1 or 2 years of prior experience
- Age: 18 - 45
Apply Now to Teach English in Shanghai
If you want more details about suitable positions and teaching experience in China, visit our ESL jobs in China page or send us the following information and we will contact you within 24 hours:
- Cover letter
- Your recent photo
- Preferences about the age of your students (if you have any)
- When you are ready to start
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Get your application in today and teach English in Shanghai with one of the leading schools in the city.