Teach English in Shenzhen
Compensation and salary
Being committed, loyal and hardworking are very valued in this country.
The salary for teaching jobs in China is usually greatly influenced by the quality of your work.
You don’t have to work overtime to produce a positive impression, but if you are truly devoted and passionate about what you do, you can get extra money and perks.
- Average salary: 13,000 RMB per month
- Free accommodation/monthly allowance
- Help with visa and all official papers
- 10+13 days off per contract
- Support and assistance in tax, bills, and medicine related questions
- Welcome pack with a free SIM card, transport ticket, health assurance, bank account etc.
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Free courses of Mandarin Chinese
- Bi-annual certification
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Shenzhen
- Public middle/high schools
- Language centers
Shenzhen jobs are relatively diverse, but the emphasis is put on young learners and teenagers, so if you want to come and teach here, you should be ready to handle a class full of (pre) school children.
Schedules here are a bit less tense than in bigger cities, like Shanghai, but the demand is as high as everywhere else.
Students usually attend demo classes before enrolling, so every teacher should be ready to perform one. It’s important to make it lively and fun, introducing multimedia content, creative tasks and a lot of interaction, because that’s what foreign teachers are expected to perform best!
So, how much do English teachers make in China?
It depends on the region, the school and the professional level of the teacher, but in Shenzhen, basic salaries start at 7,000 RMB ($1,000) and go up to 20,000 RMB ($3,000) for experienced natives.
In fact, the local ESL market is considered almost the best-paid in the country, while the cost of living in Shenzhen stays very low.
The workweek of a TEFL teacher is typical: classes on Monday-Friday, then two days off. However, you can always choose a different schedule and work of the weekend and have your days off during the workweek.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Shenzhen
So, what exactly will you be expected to do? Usually, responsibilities are very typical for all language courses and public schools:
- Teach 18-22 hours a week
- Around 15-20 prep hours to spend at school
- From 20 (training center) to 50 (public school) students in the class
- Improve students’ speaking skills
- Use video/authentic audio materials in class
- Assist at school meetings, presentations, coaching/training, observe classes
- Organize conversation classes, demos
- Help evaluate new students’ English skills
- Plan lessons
- Write feedbacks, regular progress reports, answer students’ questions
- Attend and take part in social events
Although apartments for rent in Shenzhen are not expensive and you can easily find a nice 45m2 place for as little as $570, teachers usually get free accommodation as the schools cover their rent. It’s another way to encourage qualified foreigners and make them stay longer, because, let’s face it – China is very cheap, and if you get to save extra five hundred every month, you can make your life even more comfortable!
When you apply for any of the teaching jobs in Shenzhen, we start looking for an apartment for you through our reliable estate agents. What do you get?
- Choose the district: do you want to live in a Western part of Shenzhen or settle in an authentic quarter?
- Does the apartment have to be fancy or minimalistic? We will send you pictures of different places so that you could choose the one you prefer.
- Do you want to have a flatmate? Some teachers prefer living with a fellow foreigner, not to feel lonely. In China ESL jobs let you meet new people from all over the world, so why not give flat-sharing a chance, if you feel like it?
- You won’t have to spend hours to get to work, because we’ll make sure the place is near the school, big malls, and attractions. We do everything to make your life easier, so there is no chance for you to live on the outskirts!
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in more than 60 cities around China.
- Bachelor’s academic degree
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Creativity, diligence, good communication skills, patience and interest for Chinese culture,
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
1 or 2 years of prior experience
- Age: 18 - 45
Apply Now to Teach English in Shenzhen
Do you like Shenzhen? If you are serious about it, feel free to leave us your contact information and send the following documents:
- Your CV
- Cover letter
- Recent photo of you
- Preferences for schedule and students (age)
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.