Teach English in Shenzhen
ESL Jobs in Shenzhen
When you decide to teach English in China programs seem to be as diverse, as nowhere else. Shenzhen is on the list of the most popular ones.
Located in the south-east and really close to the Hong Kong Special Region, this city is one of the hottest destinations for job seekers all over the world. Imagine, that 30 years ago it was just a small fishing village, then, thanks to Hong Kong’s economic development, it grew very quickly into a huge and dynamic city, with its own eclectic culture, atmosphere of freedom and excitement.
For many foreigners teaching English in Shenzhen is an opportunity to move somewhere with pleasant climate, close to great Asian tourist destinations, where they could increase their income. There are over 108 education institutions, including middle schools and 5 most popular language courses, all of which constantly need professional teachers to let children and adults learn to speak the language better and faster.
Both native and non-native speakers are hired here, so your nationality doesn’t really matter – language skills and your professional level are way more important.
What Makes Shenzhen Unique?
- Language: Mandarin and Cantonese
- Climate: subtropical with short mild winters
- Population: 12,5 million
- Public Transport: 1000 bus routes, subway (5 lines)
This middle-sized city is a wonderful example of the great potential of the Chinese economy. The most appealing thing about this place is that it has some of the best schools to teach English in China, offering good pay and a very high standard of life.
Here are some other things that make Shenzhen worth to settle down for teaching English:
It’s very international
This city is full of foreigners and people from all other Chinese provinces, which makes it unique and very multicultural. You can easily make friends with locals, just drinking beer at a local bar on a weekend, or meet an American in the street. It’s an immigrant city and everyone is a bit of a “foreigner” here.
Is it to your taste?
Food is very diverse in this region because there are many immigrants from other parts of China, so is Shenzhen you can find everything from Western dishes to regional cuisine. But there is a local particularity: since the city is on the coastline, fish and seafood are the main ingredients. Oysters, shrimp, and lobsters are very casual here, you can find these at every ordinary restaurant. It’s recommended to eat out at some good Cantonese restaurant, while you are in the region, and try the Cha Siu Bao buns filled with barbecue pork or the Lo Bak Go cakes with a turnip. These are simply delicious!
What do I do at the weekend?
Actually, it’s the most frequently asked one. People, who decide to teach English abroad, often seek adventure, fresh impressions, entertainment, because they tend to have a lot of free time. Shenzhen is ideal for any sort of activity you like – there are nightclubs, hiking or soccer clubs, there are concerts, exhibitions, and all sorts of classes you can imagine.
People won’t stare!
Unlike in many other cities (including Beijing), living in Shenzhen, you won’t feel any different from being at home. People here are more used to seeing foreigners, especially those with different complexion or speaking other languages. It’s one of the rare places, where being a “laowai” doesn’t equal being a star. So, if you are shy and feel awkward when people take pictures of you in the street, Shenzhen might be the right place for you.
Only 6 weeks of winter
If you don’t really like snow and frost, you’ll like it here. Winters are not only mild but very short too. You can enjoy exotic fruit, sun and warm weather all the rest of the year. Rainy days and grey skies occur very rarely.
Go to the beach after work
Isn’t it something you’ve always wanted? Wake up, teach others to speak your language, then put your swimsuit on and head to the nearest beach to wash away your fatigue and enjoy yourself! There are more than 12 natural sandy beaches near Shenzhen, so you’ll have a lot of options.
Great ideas for vacation!
Living here, you have an endless list of what to do on weekends, and where to go, and what places to visit abroad, because it’s so much easier and faster to go to South Korea, Japan or Vietnam from here. In fact, many foreigners come to teach English in Beijing, just because it’s a couple of hours away from other great Asian destinations, and it’s a chance to travel cheap and fast during their contract.
This is one of those cities, where living on a teacher salary is not about counting every single cent you earn, but about pleasure and comfort. In fact, a single person will only need about $500 per month to make ends meet. Since a minimum salary is three times higher, you can see why many teachers can afford regular trips to Macau, Hong Kong or around China, eat out a few times a week, buy beautiful things, send gifts home and still save some money. A basic lunch here costs about $7, a monthly transport ticket is only $29, a cocktail or a beer will cost $6-9.
Many English teachers jobs in China offer very good conditions and bonuses, but the ecological situation in most big cities is alarming. However, Shenzhen is a wonderful exception – the quality of the air is good, so you won’t have to worry about your skin or your lungs. This is especially important for teachers with small children or those, who experience breathing problems. Living near the sea is even beneficial for those with bronchitis or suffering from minor breathing issues.
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Shenzhen
- Public middle / high schools
- Language centers
Shenzhen jobs are relatively diverse, but the emphasis is put on young learners and teenagers, so if you want to come and teach here, you should be ready to handle a class full of (pre) school children. Schedules here are a bit less tense than in bigger cities, like Shanghai, but the demand is as high as everywhere else.
Students usually attend demo classes before enrolling, so every teacher should be ready to perform one. It’s important to make it lively and fun, introducing multimedia content, creative tasks and a lot of interaction, because that’s what foreign teachers are expected to perform best!
So, how much do English teachers make in China? It depends on the region, the school and the professional level of the teacher, but in Shenzhen, basic salaries start at 7,000 RMB ($1,000) and go up to 20,000 RMB ($3,000) for experienced natives. In fact, the local ESL market is considered almost the best-paid in the country, while the cost of living in Shenzhen stays very low.
The workweek of a TEFL teacher is typical: classes on Monday-Friday, then two days off. However, you can always choose a different schedule and work of the weekend and have your days off during the workweek.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Shenzhen
So, what exactly will you be expected to do? Usually, responsibilities are very typical for all language courses and public schools:
- Teach 18-22 hours a week
- Around 15-20 prep hours to spend at school
- From 20 (training center) to 50 (public school) students in the class
- Improve students’ speaking skills
- Use video/authentic audio materials in class
- Assist at school meetings, presentations, coaching/training, observe classes
- Organize conversation classes, demos
- Help evaluate new students’ English skills
- Plan lessons
- Write feedbacks, regular progress reports, answer students’ questions
- Attend and take part in social events
Compensation and salary
Being committed, loyal and hardworking are very valued in this country. The salary for teaching jobs in China is usually greatly influenced by the quality of your work. You don’t have to work overtime to produce a positive impression, but if you are truly devoted and passionate about what you do, you can get extra money and perks.
- Average salary: 13,000 RMB per month
- Free accommodation/monthly allowance
- Help with visa and all official papers
- 10+13 days off per contract
- Support and assistance in tax, bills, and medicine related questions
- Welcome pack with a free SIM card, transport ticket, health assurance, bank account etc.
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Free courses of Mandarin Chinese
- Bi-annual certification
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
Although apartments for rent in Shenzhen are not expensive and you can easily find a nice 45m2 place for as little as $570, teachers usually get free accommodation as the schools cover their rent. It’s another way to encourage qualified foreigners and make them stay longer, because, let’s face it – China is very cheap, and if you get to save extra five hundred every month, you can make your life even more comfortable!
When you apply for any of the teaching jobs in Shenzhen, we start looking for an apartment for you through our reliable estate agents. What do you get?
- Choose the district: do you want to live in a Western part of Shenzhen or settle in an authentic quarter?
- Does the apartment have to be fancy or minimalistic? We will send you pictures of different places so that you could choose the one you prefer.
- Do you want to have a flatmate? Some teachers prefer living with a fellow foreigner, not to feel lonely. In China ESL jobs let you meet new people from all over the world, so why not give flat-sharing a chance, if you feel like it?
- You won’t have to spend hours to get to work, because we’ll make sure the place is near the school, big malls, and attractions. We do everything to make your life easier, so there is no chance for you to live on the outskirts!
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in more than 60 cities around China.
- Bachelor’s academic degree
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Creativity, diligence, good communication skills, patience and interest for Chinese culture,
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
1 or 2 years of prior experience
- Age: 18 - 45
Apply Now to Teach English in Shenzhen
Do you like Shenzhen? If you are serious about it, feel free to leave us your contact information and send the following documents:
- Your CV
- Cover letter
- Recent photo of you
- Preferences for schedule and students (age)
When are you able to start?
Apply today at firstname.lastname@example.org (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.