Teach English in Shijiazhuang
Compensation and salary
With teaching jobs for foreigners in Shijiazhuang, you sure have to work hard and prove to be creative, but it pays off very well both at international centers and public schools. Here is what you may expect:
- Salary up to 12,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.) and up to 4000 RMB for extra classes
- Free accommodation
- Help with visa and documentation
- 13+15 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after the end of the contract (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card etc.)
- Free health insurance (including Dental)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Extra pay for signing subsequent contracts
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Well-equipped classrooms
- Teaching resources and materials
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- 120 hour TEFL: nearly all English teaching jobs in Shijiazhuang offer free certification if a teacher doesn’t have any
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Shijiazhuang
- Public schools
- Language centers
Shijiazhuang jobs for foreigners are mostly centered on young language learners as more and more Chinese want their children to speak English and prepare for a great career at an international company.
They start beforehand, so when you come to work in Shijiazhuang as an English teacher, you may easily get the impression, that the only students you can get, are young children and teens.
In fact, vacancies at primary and middle schools are numerous: these institutions are ready to hire non-native speakers with fluent English and good accent, as well as natives – experienced or not.
It’s not difficult to find a position teaching English in China with no experience, as the ever-growing demand for foreigners doesn’t let schools get too picky.
Most of them offer teacher training and free certification, so teaching in Shijiazhuang could be the right career move for a debutant!
What is expected from a teacher?
No matter who your students are, it’s important to make the classes entertaining: introduce learners to a few games, make them sing, draw, do some role-playing. Watching cartoons is also very popular and useful. Teachers can usually get audio and video materials at the school, so you won’t need to spend too much time inventing something.
Is it possible to teach adults in Shijiazhuang?
It sure is! Nowadays, there are hundreds of adult students, willing to brush up on their language skills or start learning, because it’s good for their careers. Business English courses and conversation clubs are very popular in the city.
What is the typical schedule like?
All foreign employees are expected to work 5 days a week (unless it’s a part-time job).
Depending on the employer, the schedule may differ: public school jobs in Shijiazhuang usually have days off on Saturday-Sunday, while language courses need teachers throughout the weekend (because that’s when adult students have free time).
Although at state schools you’ll have to handle huge classes of about 50 children at once, one of the main advantages is being able to finish early.
It’s one of the rare TEFL jobs in Shijiazhuang, where teachers get to start at 8 am and finish by 5 pm, no overtimes or late classes – get ready for evening outings, restaurants, and meetings with Chinese friends.
Speaking of international school Shijiazhuang jobs, there are 2 days off per week, but you can’t possibly expect them to fall on the weekend.
Working hours are more flexible: most classes start after 1 pm or 3 pm, so you won’t have to wake up early. However, you’ll be teaching till 8 pm or even 9 pm daily.
How much can you earn in Shijiazhuang?
For anyone, who is going to teach English in China salary is one of the top questions. It may not seem impressive at first, especially if you come from North America, but in local money, it’s huge and can certainly buy you a decent living.
Depending on the schedule and qualifications, average teaching jobs in Shijiazhuang pay from 7,000 RMB to 10,000 RMB ($1,000 - $1,500). Top school can offer more, especially to experienced native speakers.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Shijiazhuang
- Teach 5 days/week
- 40 hours at the office per week: up to 20 teaching hours
- Students: children or adults
- 20 students per class at international schools, up to 50 at public schools
- Lesson planning
- Use up-to-date materials, audio, and video in class
- Develop students’ listening and speaking skills
- Test checking, providing feedback
- Performing demos, conversation classes
- Attending school meetings, teacher-parent meetings
Even though apartments are not extremely expensive in the area, ranging between $163 and $350 per month, foreigners teaching English in Shijiazhuang have the advantage of free housing. However, in most cases bills will be on you ($20 - $30 maximum).
- The school will rent a place for you – all you will have to do is to look at pictures and say which one you prefer. Apartments are Western style and with necessary furniture and equipment.
- Full assistance finding an apartment in Shijiazhuang: a local agent will help you with the research and all the paperwork.
- All apartments are located in safe Shijiazhuang neighborhoods, and teachers never complain about neighbors, noise or thefts. Actually, the most criminal area in the city is around the railway station, where there are some pocket thieves, otherwise, it’s pretty safe and peaceful.
- We make sure, that those who teach at a school in Shijiazhuang always live just a few bus stops/metro stations away from their workplace and not far from tourist attractions.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have an academic degree, TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience.
If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in Shijiazhuang.
Shijiazhuang English teaching jobs usually don’t have any special requirements and accept both natives and non-natives:
- TEFL is preferred (however, schools may organize a free certification)
- Any teaching experience is a plus (but not required)
- Readiness to stay with the school for at least 12 months
- Creativity, patience, cultural awareness, dedication
Apply Now to Teach English in Shijiazhuang
If Shijiazhuang seems to be the place for you, don’t lose time and send us this information:
- Cover letter
- Recent photo
- Teaching preferences (schedule and students’ age)
- Date of availability
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.