Teach English in Suzhou
Compensation and salary
As there is no fixed teaching English abroad salary, offers may vary greatly. Browsing through Suzhou teaching jobs, it’s easy to see, that wages start at 6,000 or 7,000 RMB ($900-1000) and can attain 15,000 or 19,000 RMB ($2,800) per month. Big international centers usually offer decent salaries and bonuses on top. So here is what you normally get:
- Airport pickup (before you are ready to move to Suzhou)
- Free accommodation or 2,000-3,000 RMB allowance
- Bonuses for contract renewal
- Flight reimbursement: 6,000 RMB per contract
- Monthly bonuses up to 1,000 RMB
- 12+7 (10) days of vacation per school year
- Hep with Visa application
- Health insurance for all employees
- Initial 3-day instruction
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Pre-job training
- Assistance on getting any legal documents you might need
- Health insurance
- Free accommodation
- Free TEFL certification
- Workshops, class observation, and regular teacher training
- Free annual staff trips
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Suzhou
- Public institutions
- International schools
- English courses
The city is full of opportunities for those, who want to work with young learners and school children. Students, inexperienced educators, non-native and native speakers are all welcome here. Unfortunately, you can no longer start teaching English abroad without a degree – at least not in China, so you are expected to have completed a minimum of 4 years of studies in any field. Good news is that you are not obliged to be a professional teacher – a standard 120-hour TESOL/TEFL course will suffice.
There are two main options on the education job market: state schools and training centers. If you look for a vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Suzhou, you’ll get dozens of offers, but beware, that public schools have larger numbers of students per class – 30 on average. Sometimes you get to handle groups of 50 people, which can be quite challenging!
On the other hand, in such cases, you always have a Chinese teaching assistant to help you out. This person usually becomes the very first friend of a teacher from abroad: you can practice your Mandarin with him/her, ask for everyday life tips, advice or even go out together. It makes your adaptation faster and easier.
Schedules for public school jobs in Suzhou are usually very typical: you start at 8 am and finish by 5 pm Monday-Friday and are free on weekends. Plus you have extra 15-20 days off per year when you can do whatever you like.
Language courses have limited numbers of students so you will deal with 8-20 people at once. The working time might be different and depends on the school policy and your contract: either you have days off on weekend or you work on weekends and have your days off on workweek. Another bonus is that you get to start a workday later – at around 1 pm or 3 pm.
By the way, it’s the ideal option for those foreigners who wonder ‘Is it possible to teach adults in Suzhou?’, since not everyone is good with children or likes it.
Wages differ and depend on your schedule, qualifications, and experience, and range from 7,000 RMB to 19,000RMB. Bonuses can boost your pay up to 30,000 RMB ($4,400)!
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Suzhou
- Flexible schedule: Monday-Friday till 5 pm and weekends off / work in the afternoon + Saturday-Sunday and have days off during the week
- Around 20 hours of class work
- From 0 to 15 office hours (depends on the school where you’ll be teaching in Suzhou)
- Teach 8-20 or up to 50 students in a class
- Plan lessons
- Work together with Chinese staff
- Attend social events, meetings, training, and presentations
- Use interactive whiteboard and video during the class
- Be creative, use up-to-date approaches
- Develop speaking and listening competencies
- Provide written feedback, correct homework and tests
- Help with placement testing
The best part about Suzhou international school jobs is that housing is free, which means, that you get the possibility to save the extra money and spend it on travel, gifts, and delicious food. Most centers provide you with an apartment, while some give you more freedom and assure a monthly allowance of $300-$450 to help you with rent and bills.
- You get to choose the place to live in both cases. An estate agent and school assistants will assure, that you rent a cozy apartment to your taste.
- The school will deal with documents and help you arrange everything.
- If you feel like it, you can ask for a flatmate. These are usually fellow foreigners teaching English at a Chinese school you work for. It’s a great way to save a little as well.
- Apartments are usually situated in the city-center or another safe district, close to the school, local supermarkets, and some tourist attractions.
- Until you can move in, you’ll live at a hotel at the school’s expense.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have a TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in more than 60 cities around China.
- No bachelor’s degree needed
- TEFL certificate (120 hours) will be a plus
- Teaching experience preferred but not required
- Ready to teach at a school in Suzhou for at least 12 months
- Native or non-native speaker/candidate with fluent English and good accent
- Team player, patient, hardworking, creative in class
Apply Now to Teach English in Suzhou
If you want more details or have decided to apply, send us the following information and we will contact you within 24 hours:
- Cover letter
- Your recent photo
- Preferences about the age of your students (if you have any)
- When you are ready to start
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.