Teach English in Tianjin
ESL Jobs in Tianjin
Many foreigners wonder where to teach English in China since the country is huge and the list of cities endless.
You might try to look for jobs in Tianjin, one of the four municipalities and most populated cities in China. There are around 200 public schools and 49 official international language centers.
Finding a well-paid position here is fairly easy because the demand for foreign languages is extreme these days. Both state and private institutions are usually fully equipped, have all the necessary teaching material and devices.
Enthusiasts from abroad, willing to teach English in Tianjin, are always needed, highly valued and receive a hearty welcome from the local schools, where they get good salaries and extra bonuses, free trips and possibilities for professional development.
What Makes Tianjin Unique?
- Language: Mandarin + local dialects
- Population: over 15 million
- Public Transport: international airport, 4 major train stations, subway (6 lines), buses, taxi
- Climate: temperate, affected by monsoons
The Tianjin city is known to be the ancient port of Beijing. Now it’s a developed and independent city, where you can find whatever you like: Chinese monuments, Western-style architecture, a giant Ferris wheel, traditional tea houses, beautiful parks and so much more.
Foreigners, living in Tianjin, note that summers tend to be rather agreeable, as the temperature rarely surpasses 27 C (82 F).
Winters are rather cold (but you won’t freeze) and snowy and can last up to 160 days. So if you are used to this kind of climate, coming here is a good idea.
The Tianjin cuisine is known to be delicious, nourishing and healthy.
You’ll enjoy such local specialties, as Goubuli (steamed dumplings with lots of meat/vegetables inside and less oil) or the Chinese New Year snack Tangdui made of grilled hawthorn berries filled with red bean paste, nuts, and seeds.
To tell you the truth about teaching English in China, many foreigners put on weight after a couple of years spent here, because the food is really remarkable and cheap – the prices in restaurants range from $3 to $9 for a meal!
What to do in Tianjin after work?
Living here is not all about office hours and eating, because the city is huge and full of wonders. You can go for a coffee to the beautiful Victorian style Astor Hotel on the Haihe riverside, and then take a walk around the Cultural square.
You can also leave the city to explore the Eastern part of the Great Wall (less crowded, but as picturesque, as the more touristic parts).
Don’t forget, that being here, you live only 90 minutes away from the capital! Find a job in Tianjin and get to spend weekends in Beijing, getting all the advantages the capital has to offer. Catch a plane to Shanghai or Seoul on vacation, because that’s something you totally can afford, working full-time.
Lower cost of living
Rent is 53% lower here than in Beijing, and meals at restaurants cost 17,3% less, which means, that ESL teaching jobs Beijing has to offer, are not nearly as beneficial, as TEFL jobs in Tianjin.
With the average salary of 10,000 RMB ($1,500), you spend maximum $20 on food per day, monthly transport pass is $16 (45% cheaper) and you’ll get to save 22% on bills every month.
Increasing demand for foreign specialists
In fact, the number of ESL jobs in Tianjin for 2018 was higher, than the previous year and is expected to grow in 2019.
If you speak with a good accent and enjoy teaching, you’ll be satisfied with the variety of jobs in Tianjin for English speakers.
The conditions are good, the pay is high, plus foreign educators are very well-regarded in China. Many people actually admit that you’ll never feel so much comfort and respect in a classroom outside this country.
Even if you choose to teach English in China with no experience, be prepared for a lot of hard work, but it will surely be rewarded by the progress, attention, and admiration of your students.
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Tianjin
- Public schools
- Private institutions (for children and adults)
If the idea to work in Tianjin as an English teacher sounds appealing to you, chances are, you’ll have to choose among those three places.
Most of the positions are for teaching young learners (between 3 and 12 years old) because enrolling children in English courses is a very popular trend now. The earlier, the better!
The main advantage of being employed at a public school or a preschool institution is a fixed schedule with weekends off and standard working hours – generally from 8 am to 5 pm. This gives you more free time and allows for evening outings.
However, there are many ESL jobs in Tianjin, where you can work with adult learners. Some mentors from abroad seem to prefer these opportunities because not everyone can teach children successfully.
If you are used to adult students, focus on language courses and private training centers. But beware of the offers, stating that to teach English in Tianjin you always need to have a Bachelor’s degree. This is not true, you can teach here as long as you are fluent in English.
On the other hand, you can apply even if your degree is not in teaching. Also, being a debutant you can actually come to teach English abroad without certification.
Many schools offer free online or on-site TEFL courses, which will let you work in the education field afterward (the certificate is valid till the rest of your life).
Teaching in Tianjin, you can get very different schedules at training centers, which usually depend on the demand of students, your preferences and availability. There are many part-time offers, too, so you can combine and work for a couple of centers at the same time, which is not a rare practice.
Anyway, be ready to work till 9 pm and on weekends, as adult students tend to have more free time on Saturdays and Sundays. Classes may start relatively early on these days – at around 8 am or 9 am.
Salaries for English teaching jobs in Tianjin vary a lot, depending on the school, your qualifications, teaching experience, and nationality – yes, natives earn considerably more. Average hourly pay in this region is around 100 – 200 RMB ($15 - $30).
Standard wages start at 9,000 RMB ($1,300) per month and can reach 18,000 RMB ($2,600) for experienced and certified professionals.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Tianjin
- 20-30 teaching hours per week
- Up to 20 or sometimes 40-50 students per class (depending on the type of the school)
- Up to 10 office hours (teaching related tasks)
- Assure encouraging atmosphere in class
- Enhance students to communicate in English
- Develop their listening and speaking skills as much as possible
- Use provided additional materials, audio and video
- Organize conversation classes and do lesson planning
- Go to teacher-parents meeting, if you are teaching English at a Chinese school
- Provide feedback
- Check tests and homework
- Attend workshops and school cultural events
Compensation and salary
When you teach English in China salary is always decent.
Hard work, commitment, and creativity are very well rewarded not only by your students’ motivation and results but also by the school management.
Here is what makes it one of the top destinations to teach English abroad salary is often topped up with bonuses, which might sometimes double it!
- Salary up to 18,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.) and up to 4000 RMB for extra classes
- Free accommodation
- Help with visa and documentation
- 11+13 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after the end of the contract (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 9 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance etc.)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, 24/7 hotline support with any general questions or concerns (if needed)
- Well-equipped classrooms
- Teaching resources and materials
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
Even though Tianjin is the biggest waterfront city and the fourth most populated one in China, rental prices are very low. You can easily find a cozy place outside the city center for $250 a month plus around $62 – $69 for electricity.
But the good news about jobs in Tianjin for foreigners is that they don’t have to pay – teachers get free housing or a monthly allowance.
In this case, they can share a luxurious apartment with a fellow foreigner and save extra cash.
- All newcomers get to choose the place to their taste. Apartments are always Western style, in safe areas and close to the school and attractions.
- There will be an agent to help you with documents and the research.
- You can get a bigger apartment if you are coming with your family.
Actually, teaching English as a foreign language in China, you get more, than anywhere else around the globe – both good salary and perks like free rent and bonuses.
Qualifications & Skills
To teach English in China requirements are usually not a problem. There are quite a few basic ones:
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Creativity, diligence, good communication skills, patience and interest for Chinese culture
- Passionate about teaching
- Native speakers are preferred
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
- Preferably over 22-24 years old
Apply Now to Teach English in Tianjin
Does Tianjin seem the right thing? Contact us now and send the following documents:
- Your CV
- Cover letter
- Recent photo of you
- Preferences for schedule and students (age)
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.