Teach English in Tianjin
Compensation and salary
When you teach English in China salary is always decent.
Hard work, commitment, and creativity are very well rewarded not only by your students’ motivation and results but also by the school management.
Here is what makes it one of the top destinations to teach English abroad salary is often topped up with bonuses, which might sometimes double it!
- Salary up to 14,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English, etc.) and up to 2000 RMB for extra classes
- Free accommodation
- Help with visa and documentation
- 11+13 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after the end of the contract (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 9 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance, etc.)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, 24/7 hotline support with any general questions or concerns (if needed)
- Well-equipped classrooms
- Teaching resources and materials
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Tianjin
- Public schools
- Private institutions (for children and adults)
If the idea to work in Tianjin as an English teacher sounds appealing to you, chances are, you’ll have to choose among those three places.
Most of the positions are for teaching young learners (between 3 and 12 years old) because enrolling children in English courses is a very popular trend now. The earlier, the better!
The main advantage of being employed at a public school or a preschool institution is a fixed schedule with weekends off and standard working hours – generally from 8 am to 5 pm. This gives you more free time and allows for evening outings.
However, there are many ESL jobs in Tianjin, where you can work with adult learners. Some mentors from abroad seem to prefer these opportunities because not everyone can teach children successfully.
If you are used to adult students, focus on language courses and private training centers. But beware of the offers, stating that to teach English in Tianjin you always need to have a Bachelor’s degree. This is not true, you can teach here as long as you are fluent in English.
On the other hand, you can apply even if your degree is not in teaching. Also, being a debutant you can actually come to teach English abroad without certification.
Many schools offer free online or on-site TEFL courses, which will let you work in the education field afterward (the certificate is valid till the rest of your life).
Teaching in Tianjin, you can get very different schedules at training centers, which usually depend on the demand of students, your preferences and availability. There are many part-time offers, too, so you can combine and work for a couple of centers at the same time, which is not a rare practice.
Anyway, be ready to work till 9 pm and on weekends, as adult students tend to have more free time on Saturdays and Sundays. Classes may start relatively early on these days – at around 8 am or 9 am.
Salaries for English teaching jobs in Tianjin vary a lot, depending on the school, your qualifications, teaching experience, and nationality – yes, natives earn considerably more. Average hourly pay in this region is around 50 – 100 RMB ($7 - $15).
Standard wages start at 9,000 RMB ($1,300) per month and can reach 15,000 RMB ($2,200) for experienced and certified professionals.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Tianjin
- 20-30 teaching hours per week
- Up to 20 or sometimes 40-50 students per class (depending on the type of the school)
- Up to 10 office hours (teaching related tasks)
- Assure encouraging atmosphere in class
- Enhance students to communicate in English
- Develop their listening and speaking skills as much as possible
- Use provided additional materials, audio and video
- Organize conversation classes and do lesson planning
- Go to teacher-parents meeting, if you are teaching English at a Chinese school
- Provide feedback
- Check tests and homework
- Attend workshops and school cultural events
Even though Tianjin is the biggest waterfront city and the fourth most populated one in China, rental prices are very low. You can easily find a cozy place outside the city center for $250 a month plus around $62 – $69 for electricity.
But the good news about jobs in Tianjin for foreigners is that they don’t have to pay – teachers get free housing or a monthly allowance.
In this case, they can share a luxurious apartment with a fellow foreigner and save extra cash.
- All newcomers get to choose the place to their taste. Apartments are always Western style, in safe areas and close to the school and attractions.
- There will be an agent to help you with documents and the research.
- You can get a bigger apartment if you are coming with your family.
Actually, teaching English as a foreign language in China, you get more, than anywhere else around the globe – both good salary and perks like free rent and bonuses.
Qualifications & Skills
Teaching English in China requirements are usually not a problem. There are quite a few basic ones:
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Creativity, diligence, good communication skills, patience and interest for Chinese culture
- Passionate about teaching
- Native speakers or non-native with fluent English
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
- Preferably over 20 years old
Apply Now to Teach English in Tianjin
Does Tianjin seem the right thing? Contact us now and send the following documents:
- Your CV
- Cover letter
- Recent photo of you
- Preferences for schedule and students (age)
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.