Teach English in Weihai
Compensation and salary
The important part of teaching English as a foreign language in China is that you can get fairly good pay and extra benefits for hard work and subsequent contracts with the school.
Both international and public school jobs in Weihai tend to be generous towards foreign teachers.
- Basic salary: 8,000 – 16,000 RMB depending on your qualifications
- Free accommodation/allowance
- Help with visa and documentation
- 12+15 paid days of vacation per contract
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 9 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance etc.)
- Guided tour around Weihai + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills (if needed)
- Training, support, and class observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
- Extra money for your previous experience with young learners (+ around 200 RMB per month)
- Monthly performance bonuses (up to 1,000 RMB)
- Health insurance covered by the school
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Weihai
- Public/private schools
- Language centers
Weihai English teaching jobs are diverse and offer you a handful of possibilities to choose from. Both state institutions and international schools are present in the city, but one of the best things about Weihai is that classes tend to be smaller in both cases because the city is not overpopulated.
Foreigners can select one of the language centers and apply for a full-time position there, but many of them work at a few places at the same time, which can boost your salary and give you some valuable experience.
For example, you find a vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Weihai and get a Z visa. Upon arrival, you understand, that with the number of hours you have, you can actually take a part-time job at an international school or elsewhere, without being overwhelmed.
This will let you put some money by, travel more or send a few hundred dollars back home to your family. Although it’s a popular practice, not all employees from abroad do it, so don’t consider it obligatory.
Is it possible to teach adults in Weihai?
With the number of vacancies for teaching young children, it may seem that there is no place for adult learners on the Chinese market. However, it’s not true! Many language centers hire qualified teachers to work with grown-ups, as the demand for increasing every year.
Whatever type of school you choose, you can come to teach English in Weihai with no degree or Z visa and apply for one later. You can get hired with no experience or certificate, but you get to have at least a Bachelor’s degree, otherwise, chances are, your candidacy won’t be approved.
In other aspects of English teaching jobs in Weihai are easier to get for an inexperienced professional or a student because requirements tend to be lower than in most other provinces.
How much can you earn in Weihai?
Another particular feature of this region is that the pay is slightly lower too, the average being around 8,500 RMB ($1,260).
However, don’t forget that if you teach English in China salary may not be what it seems at first, because of the cost of living, which is even cheaper in Weihai, than in bigger cities. This means, that if you work in Weihai as an English teacher, despite getting less cash at the end of the month, you’ll still manage to eat out, travel and buy nice things.
On the other hand, if you plan to save a significant amount of dollars or regularly send money to pay bills abroad, this might not do.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Weihai
- Teach 5 days a week
- Up to 20 teaching and around 10 office hours
- Maximum 20 people in the class, if you teach at a school in Weihai
- Lesson planning
- Placement tests and interviewing new students
- Check homework and tests
- Use modern approaches and audio/video materials
- Provide feedback, attend parent-teacher meetings
- Create demos, conversation classes, presentations
- Attend seminars and social events
One of the biggest pros of living here is that jobs for foreigners in Weihai usually provide free housing or a good allowance, which means, that you won’t have to pay the rent.
The worst scenario is that you’d have to pay $100 or $150 per month out of your salary, but in this case, you can always get a flatmate, split the bills and manage to put some money by.
Anyway, with our agency you get:
- Well situated Western-style apartment with necessary equipment and furniture;
- Not far from the school and tourist spots;
- Possibility to choose your own place with the help of a local estate agent;
- Get 100% or at least 60% coverage of your rent, teaching English at a Chinese school;
- Help with paperwork and signing the contract.
Qualifications & Skills
Basic requirements to teach English in China may seem very low, but don’t forget, that extra experience and diplomas will get you better-paid positions (degree in education, Master).
- Bachelor’s degree
- TEFL/TESOL (you can do certification upon school’s request while already teaching in China)
- No teaching experience is required
- Preferably a native speaker, or non-native with fluent English
- Ready to commit to a 12-month contract at least
- Open-minded, creative, patient and professional
Apply Now to Teach English in Weihai
If you feel like this city might be the right place, send us this information, so that we could get back to you with a suitable offer:
- Cover letter
- Recent photo
- Preferences (young students/adults, schedule)
- Your availability
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Get ready with your application today and teach English in Weihai with one of the best schools in the area.