Teach English in Wenzhou
Compensation and salary
Teaching English as a foreign language China does require effort and time, but as long as you are a hard-working employee, the school will give you more than basic wages.
In order to motivate teachers, administration usually offers free perks, trips, and training, plus visa and flight ticket reimbursement.
Here is what you can get teaching English in Wenzhou:
- Salary 11,000 to 18,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.)
- Free accommodation or allowance up to 2,000 RMB
- Help with visa and documentation
- 11+13 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 6 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- School-paid trips for staff
- Promotion options within the school
- Welcome pack including a Chinese SIM, monthly bus pass, help create a bank account
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- Full health insurance
- Possibility to get a free TEFL certificate
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Wenzhou
- Public schools and kindergartens
- Private institutions
- Training centers
When you look at the list of available jobs, you ask yourself: is it possible to teach adults in Wenzhou at all? It is.
However, it’s true, that the demand for foreigners willing to teach children is higher because many grown-ups don’t even have the time or resources to learn.
Plus, it’s common for the Chinese to educate their children from a very young age in hope of a better career and future.
Whatever age group you choose, the good news is that to teach English in China no experience is usually required.
Candidates with certification and something on their CV are preferred and can count on a better salary and bonuses, but even without these your chances are pretty good!
What really counts is your ability to break the ice in class, be funny, relaxed and creative. In fact, some employers even list these qualities on a vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Wenzhou!
It’s vital to make a change in the universe of Chinese education, get as far as possible from boring exercises and endless reading and repeating.
Modern schools have collections of different ESL games and interactive activities for children and adults, which are both fun and useful.
Don’t hesitate to bring them to your students or even invent something on your own!
What is the typical schedule like?
As a full-time teacher, you are usually expected to work 5 days a week.
Working hours may depend: international school Wenzhou jobs prefer applicants available in the evening (till 9 pm), and those who are ready to teach on Saturdays and Sundays.
That’s when they have the most students, especially adults.
Days off are negotiated individually: every employee can have 2 days off every week, but they fall on different workdays. Staying at home on weekends is impossible in most cases.
Things are different for those teaching in Wenzhou at public and private schools: you start early (around 8 am or even 7 am).
But in exchange, you get to finish in the afternoon and be back home by 5 pm or 6 pm. Saturdays and Sundays are free from work, so you can arrange meetings with friends or plan a trip.
Plus, during a typical workday, you have a 2-hour lunch break to eat in peace and even have a nap.
How much can you earn in Wenzhou?
The reason why so many foreigners come to teach English in China is that salary is actually not bad at all.
However, salaries at public schools are usually lower than those, offered by Wenzhou international school jobs, plus the latter often have extra bonuses and more diverse opportunities for foreign teachers.
Anyway, no matter what type of school they work at, teachers can always afford restaurant meals, going out and traveling.
Living in Wenzhou as a foreigner you may expect a salary between 7,000 RMB ($1,000) and 18,000 RMB ($2,700).
You can actually live very well with $350 – 400 per month, which means that you can put by a few hundred regularly for vacation and shopping.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Wenzhou
- Teach 5 days per week
- 10 – 25 class hours (public school jobs in Wenzhou require maximum hours)
- Up to 15 office hours
- Class size: depends on the status of the school, between 8 and 50 students
- Students: children, teens, grown-ups
- Perform regular classes, conversation clubs and demos for new students
- Help with placement testing
- Plan lessons
- Check homework and tests
- Provide individual feedback, meet students’ parents
- Use modern approach and audio materials
- Interactive activities, games and develop communication skills in class
- Attend social events
Apartments usually cost $220 – $350 per month, but if you work in Wenzhou as an English teacher, you’ll get free housing!
Although you’ll still have to pay bills – $27 or $30 every month – the school will save you an extra couple of hundred dollars for even more traveling and fun!
- All apartments are Western style, furnished and with necessary conveniences.
- We understand that finding an apartment in Wenzhou on your own might be difficult. If the school doesn’t provide ready options, we will help you find a place through our local agents.
- You’ll get to see pictures and choose the place you like.
- We guarantee that our teachers live in safe and nice Wenzhou neighborhoods, with shops and close to the school they work at.
Qualifications & Skills
According to the latest requirements to teach English in China in 2019, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree would be a benefit but not required
- TEFL (although many English teaching jobs in Wenzhou provide free training upon request)
- Have 1-2 years of post-graduate experience
- Good written and spoken English / native
- Preferably 21+ years
- Passionate about teaching, patient, creative and positive, culturally aware
Apply Now to Teach English in Wenzhou
If you are interested, we will need the following information in order to get started:
- Cover letter
- Recent photo
- Availability to begin work
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Submit your application and get ready to teach English in Wenzhou at one of the leading schools.