What is the typical schedule like?
Depending on the students you prefer and the type of institution you work for, working hours may differ. Morning hours and Monday-Friday workweek are typical for a vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Wuhan.
In this case, you’ll start the day at 8 am and be home after 4 pm or 5 pm, so if you are an early bird and can’t stand working late hours, this is the perfect one. Free evenings and weekends, and lots of smiling kids around you 5 days per week are guaranteed.
However, things are completely different in language courses. As far as we know, many fresh teachers, who lack confidence with children or prefer grown-up groups, wonder “Is it possible to teach adults in Wuhan?”
Yes, it is, but opting for this type of students, be ready for another scenario: your days off won’t fall on the weekend and your workday will finish around 9 pm.
Night owls will appreciate the fact, that the day will usually start after 1 pm.
How much can you earn in Wuhan?
Feeling enthusiastic about teaching English in China? Your salary won’t disappoint you! Average foreigners’ wages in Wuhan are 13,000 RMB, which is equal to $1,900.
Of course, if you are inexperienced and look for work in Wuhan as an English teacher, you may expect your potential salary to be lower – between 10,000 RMB and 12,000 RMB, which is still awesome, because even with $1,500 you can afford regular trips, eating out, attending various events and other things.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Wuhan
- Teach 5 days a week
- Students: adults or young learners and teens (3 – 18 y.o.)
- Class size: between 20 and 50 people (with international school Wuhan jobs you’ll have smaller classes than at public institutions)
- Plan lessons, demos, conversation clubs
- Write feedback, check tests and homework
- Develop students’ confidence and communication skills in class
- Use modern materials, especially board games, videos, etc
- Promote the school, attend presentations, collaborate with the marketing department