Teach English in Wuxi
Compensation and salary
Although public school jobs in Wuxi will demand hard work, motivation, and concentration, remarkable employees often get a lot more than simple salary.
Big international schools as well as state ones often have pleasant bonuses and free options to interest and encourage you.
- Salary up to 13,000 RMB depending on your qualifications
- Free accommodation/allowance
- Help with visa and documentation
- 12+15 paid days of vacation per contract
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 9 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance, etc.)
- Guided tour around Wuxi + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills (if needed)
- Training, support, and class observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
- Extra money for your previous experience with young learners (+ around 200 RMB per month)
- Monthly performance bonuses (up to 1,000 RMB)
- Health insurance covered by the school
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Wuxi
- Public schools
- International courses
- Summer contracts at language centers
As anywhere else in China, teaching jobs for foreigners in Wuxi are mainly about working with young learners 6 to 16 years old.
This normally requires creativity from the mentor, because younger students (up to 12 years old) tend to be distracted easily, so you have to try hard to keep their attention fixed, make them remember things and be productive.
Games, interactive exercises with a whiteboard, involving drawing, singing and making projects in groups are the best ways to succeed.
But is it possible to teach adults in Wuxi?
Yes, it is! There are usually more positions for children teaching, but adult students are present as well, especially in business English courses.
In this case, the person teaching English as a second or foreign language needs to be confident, culturally aware and focused on the actual goals of the learners, because most of them don’t just learn English for fun – they need it for work.
However, adult classes are not all about seriousness and concentration – there is always a place for a good laugh, videos, and games.
A typical schedule for ESL jobs in Wuxi
The place you choose to work in Wuxi as an English teacher is not entirely about the kind of students you prefer, but will also define your schedule, as it won’t be similar at a public school and a training center.
Adults tend to enroll in evening classes and weekend courses, while you get to teach schoolchildren at public schools from 8 am to 5 pm.
Days off usually occur on workdays at training centers, while teaching English at a Chinese school, you’ll have them on the weekend, which is more convenient for many of us.
How much you earn teaching in Wuxi
Salaries may differ as well: they tend to be higher at private institutions, where you are likely to obtain bonuses and extra money.
The average salary in Wuxi is around 10,000 RMB, but foreign professionals provided they have expected qualifications and language level, can earn between 11,000 RMB and 13,000 RMB ($1,600 – $1,900).
Top foreigners with certification and prior experience, now teaching English in Wuxi get 14,000 RMB, which equals $2,050!
If you don’t want to sign a full-time contract with a school and want to see first, there are less well-paid jobs with more freedom and flexibility – summer contracts.
This type of teaching English abroad programs lets you come to work in China for a few months, discover the city and decide whether you want to prolongate your contract.
These usually don’t offer most of the perks like free accommodation or performance bonuses but reimburse your flight tickets and all visa-related expenses.
In this case, you’ll be getting 6,500 – 7,000 RMB ($950 – $1,050) per month, which is a very average salary for teaching English abroad.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Wuxi
- Teach 5 days a week, 20 – 30 hours in total
- Up to 9 prep hours
- Teach 8 – 20 students in the class
- Outline lessons and courses
- Prepare demos and conversation clubs
- At some Wuxi English teaching jobs, employees need to perform Outside location classes with an increased number of students
- Use video, and audio
- Enhance speaking, introduce fun activities
- Check homework, provide feedback
- Interview new students, check placement tests
- Attend school meetings
Even though rent is pretty cheap in this area, it’s not something to worry about, since most of the jobs for foreigners in Wuxi provide employees with free housing.
This means, that either you get a monthly allowance to pay the rent, or the school offers you a few options and you get to live for free and never think about rent at all.
- In either case, you can choose an apartment.
- All options are about the same class: Western style, well situated, with conveniences and furniture.
- It’s up to you to decide whether you want to share the place, live alone or come to live with your family.
- Apartments are always situated close to the school in a safe and nice district. It won’t be far from tourist attractions and popular quarters, where you could meet someone from the Wuxi expat community.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have an academic degree, TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience.
If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in Wuxi.
Usually, ESL teaching jobs in Wuxi do not have extremely high requirements, however, the more you offer, the better options you get:
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Passion for teaching, indulgence, genuine interest for Chinese culture and an open mind
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
- Age: 18 - 45
Apply Now to Teach English in Wuxi
Do you want to live in Wuxi? Then don’t lose a minute, contact us and send this information:
- Cover letter
- Your photo
- Preferences for learners’ age and schedules
- When you want to start
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Get the application in and we will offer you the best schools to teach English in Wuxi!