Teach English in Wuxi
ESL Jobs in Wuxi
Located next to Suzhou, this city in Jiangsu province is known as the ‘mini Shanghai’, because of its evergrowing economy. Actually, it’s among 50 richest cities in China nowadays.
As the demand for English speakers keeps increasing, there is no shortage of jobs in Wuxi, especially for foreign professionals. Young adults here are also eager to learn English to get a promotion, so teachers – native and fluent non-native – are highly valued in this city.
Despite not being a huge one, it has over 220 different public and private education institutions like schools and universities, and 63 international language centers.
This means, that getting hired here is not a complicated task, which makes it one of the very best cities in China to teach English. Plus, local salaries are decent, you can easily put something by without having to cut your expenses or live a modest life.
What Makes Wuxi Unique?
- Population: 6.3 million
- Language: Mandarin + local dialects
- Public Transport: domestic airport, train stations, intercity buses, city bus system, subway, taxi
- Climate: warm and humid with lots of rainfall
Going to teach at a school in Wuxi and want to know what your life will be like? You won’t be disappointed – the place if amazing! First of all, there are natural wonders all around, so you won’t have to go far to admire beautiful landscapes or get some fresh air away from the city hustle and bustle. If you feel like you want more of it, you can take a train to one of the biggest cities on the continent, enjoy yourself, and then come back.
Actually, teaching in Wuxi is very entertaining, but if you want more details, here is our list!
Something tasty on your plate
Wuxi is in Jiangsu province, which means, that local cuisine belongs to the Su tradition. It has a soft texture, ingredients match by taste, shape, and color, plus there are lots of soups.
It’s considered refined and healthy, so if you are concerned with what you put in your mouth, local food is the right choice!
Living in Wuxi, you can taste local soy and sugar sauce, a typical ingredient for this cooking style. Whitebait with an omelet, goldfish milky soup, and braised ribs are among the best ones!
Wuxi climate is worth moving here
Even though in summer it may be difficult to take it without air conditioning, people rarely complain. Foreigners, who are not particularly fond of freezing winters, will totally enjoy the cold season here. Snowfall does not occur every year and melts down very quickly.
Temperatures rarely go below 0 C (32 F) even in January; however, since the Wuxi weather is always pretty humid and rainy, it may seem colder than in reality.
There is around 100 cm (39 in) on precipitation annually, so it’s hard to survive without a pair of rubber boots and an umbrella. Autumn is considered to be the best time of the year along with spring.
You might not be able to travel abroad directly from the local airport, but you can explore China, which is enough. Plus, such places as Shanghai are only 45 minutes away by train, so if you get tired of the local beauty, living in Wuxi, you can spend an amazing weekend there.
While you are in Wuxi, China’s environmental issues won’t bother you, because air pollution rates are extremely low – between excellent and well most of the time.
No masks, no air purifiers, and very small health risks. If you have long-term breathing problems, this might be the ideal city for your lungs.
There are history and culture
Apart from having one of the enormous Buddha statues and the beautiful Yuantouzhu park, there is the Nanchan temple and the Vatican Sacred site. The Wuxi city has something for everyone!
The Huishan town and numerous traditional water parks are easily accessible and would totally make your weekend.
Whether you are passionate about learning Mandarin or you’d like to skip this part, you’ll easily make friends with the inhabitants of the city.
People here are kind and helpful and can make your adaptation faster if you let them.
Remember, that Wuxi teaching jobs can not only let you earn money, but also offer you a great experience, getting acquainted with the Chinese culture, people and life.
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Wuxi
- Public schools
- International courses
- Summer contracts at language centers
As anywhere else in China, teaching jobs for foreigners in Wuxi are mainly about working with young learners 6 to 16 years old. This normally requires creativity from the mentor, because younger students (up to 12 years old) tend to be distracted easily, so you have to try hard to keep their attention fixed, make them remember things and be productive. Games, interactive exercises with a whiteboard, involving drawing, singing and making projects in groups are the best ways to succeed.
But is it possible to teach adults in Wuxi?
Yes, it is! There are usually more positions for children teaching, but adult students are present as well, especially in business English courses.
In this case, the person teaching English as a second or foreign language needs to be confident, culturally aware and focused on the actual goals of the learners, because most of them don’t just learn English for fun – they need it for work.
However, adult classes are not all about seriousness and concentration – there is always a place for a good laugh, videos, and games.
A typical schedule for ESL jobs in Wuxi
The place you choose to work in Wuxi as an English teacher is not entirely about the kind of students you prefer, but will also define your schedule, as it won’t be similar at a public school and a training center.
Adults tend to enroll in evening classes and weekend courses, while you get to teach schoolchildren at public schools from 8 am to 5 pm.
Days off usually occur on workdays at training centers, while teaching English at a Chinese school, you’ll have them on weekend, which is more convenient for many of us.
How much you earn teaching in Wuxi
Salaries may differ as well: they tend to be higher at private institutions, where you are likely to obtain bonuses and extra money.
The average salary in Wuxi is around 7,000 RMB, but foreign professionals provided they have expected qualifications and language level, can earn between 10,000 RMB and 12,000 RMB ($1,500 – $1,800). Top foreigners with certification and prior experience, now teaching English in Wuxi get 16,000 RMB, which equals $2,400!
If you don’t want to sign a full-time contract with a school and want to see first, there are less well-paid jobs with more freedom and flexibility – summer contracts.
This type of teaching English abroad programs lets you come to work in China for a few months, discover the city and decide whether you want to prolongate your contract.
These usually don’t offer most of the perks like free accommodation or performance bonuses but reimburse your flight tickets and all visa-related expenses. In this case, you’ll be getting 6,500 – 7,000 RMB ($950 – $1,050) per month, which is a very average salary for teaching English abroad.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Wuxi
- Teach 5 days a week, 20 – 30 hours in total
- Up to 9 prep hours
- Teach 8 – 20 students in the class
- Outline lessons and courses
- Prepare demos and conversation clubs
- At some Wuxi English teaching jobs, employees need to perform Outside location classes with an increased number of students
- Use video, and audio
- Enhance speaking, introduce fun activities
- Check homework, provide feedback
- Interview new students, check placement tests
- Attend school meetings
Compensation and salary
Although public school jobs in Wuxi will demand hard work, motivation, and concentration, remarkable employees often get a lot more than simple salary.
Big international schools as well as state ones often have pleasant bonuses and free options to interest and encourage you.
- Basic salary: 8,000 – 16,000 RMB depending on your qualifications
- Free accommodation/allowance
- Help with visa and documentation
- 12+15 paid days of vacation per contract
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 9 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance etc.)
- Guided tour around Weihai + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills (if needed)
- Training, support, and class observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
- Extra money for your previous experience with young learners (+ around 200 RMB per month)
- Monthly performance bonuses (up to 1,000 RMB)
- Health insurance covered by the school
Even though rent is pretty cheap in this area, it’s not something to worry about, since most of the jobs for foreigners in Wuxi provide employees with free housing.
This means, that either you get a monthly allowance to pay the rent, or the school offers you a few options and you get to live for free and never think about rent at all.
- In either case, you can choose an apartment.
- All options are about the same class: Western style, well situated, with conveniences and furniture.
- It’s up to you to decide whether you want to share the place, live alone or come to live with your family.
- Apartments are always situated close to the school in a safe and nice district. It won’t be far from tourist attractions and popular quarters, where you could meet someone from the Wuxi expat community.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have an academic degree, TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in Wuxi.
Usually, ESL teaching jobs in Wuxi do not have extremely high requirements, however, the more you offer, the better options you get:
- Being a native speaker is a plus
- TEFL is preferred but not necessary
- Readiness to sign a 12-month contract
- Good sense of humor, optimism, creativity, passion for teaching
- Age: 18-45
Apply Now to Teach English in Wuxi
Do you want to live in Wuxi? Then don’t lose a minute, contact us and send this information:
- Cover letter
- Your photo
- Preferences for learners’ age and schedules
- When you want to start
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Get the application in and we will offer you the best schools to teach English in Wuxi!