Teach English in Xiamen
Compensation and salary
- Basic salary: 8,000 – 17,000 RMB depending on your qualifications
- Free accommodation/allowance
- Help with visa and documentation
- 12+15 paid days of vacation per contract
- Flight ticket reimbursement after 9 months (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 9 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance, etc.)
- Guided tour around Xiamen + tips about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills (if needed)
- Training, support, and class observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
- Extra money for your previous experience with young learners (+ around 200 RMB per month)
- Health insurance covered by the school
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Xiamen
- Bilingual primary and secondary schools
- Language schools
Nowadays English native speakers try to find interesting work that they can combine with traveling, exploring new cultures and receiving multicultural experience.
There are many English teaching jobs in Xiamen with different requirements and responsibilities.
And if you start thinking about teaching English abroad, it is reasonable to pay attention to this location.
Xiamen is a very developed city with all necessities for everyday life, but at the same time, it is one of the most beautiful resorts in China.
So you can work in Xiamen as an English teacher and have the most fabulous holidays in your life.
The next aspect that worries all teachers is about salaries and compensations. But you can be calm about it because an English teacher in China can earn enough money to make a decent living.
For example, salaries for ESL jobs in Xiamen start from 10000 RMB (1450$) and increase up to 18000 RMB (2600$). But if you are an experienced teacher with TEFL/CELTA certificate and bachelor degree you can increase your income up to 20000 RMB (2900$).
Obviously, English teaching jobs in Xiamen with such a high salary are more challenging to find and get, but it is possible.
Teaching in kindergartens
The most popular vacancy among all Xiamen English teaching jobs is an English teacher in a kindergarten.
It is really necessary to learn a foreign language from childhood if you want to use it in your work or everyday life.
And, for sure, it is the best option of jobs for students in Xiamen, because kindergartens usually prefer young and passionate teachers that will spend all their energy to communicate with children.
Work in a kindergarten may be a little bit challenging since you will need to hold the discipline and focus children’s attention on a lesson.
But this work may be very interesting at the same time because you will play a lot of games, sing songs in English and answer any questions a child can ask.
Also in Xiamen city, you can find many vacancies in private kindergartens, where there are fewer children in one group and English level may vary.
Montessori kindergartens are becoming very popular, and if you consider teaching English in Xiamen, it may be a great option!
These kindergartens have different curriculum from Chinese public kindergartens and you can really grow as a teacher there.
Teaching in bilingual schools
Teaching English at a Chinese school may be very interesting for a teacher because your students will be older and have already had knowledge about English basics.
If you choose a job in primary school the age of your students will be 5-11 years old. Or you can select a vacancy in a secondary school in Xiamen, and your students will be teenagers (12-17 years). In both cases, your lessons will be stricter than in kindergarten.
You will need to create or use current teaching program and make sure that all students understand the main subject of the lesson.
International school jobs in Xiamen have many advantages for a teacher.
First of all, your schedule will be very stable: 5 working days per week from 8-9 am and till 5 pm.
Also, you will have 2 free days: Saturday and Sunday, it is very convenient, because you can have a rest at the same time with all other people.
When you teach at a school in Xiamen, you have enough time for rest, going to restaurants or expat bars or working out in the evenings.
Is it possible to teach adults in Xiamen?
It is one of the most popular questions about ESL teaching jobs in Xiamen, and the answer is yes.
You can find work in training centers or language schools if you want to work with adult students.
They are usually more motivated and hardworking because they know exactly what they are learning.
It is much easier to find a good job in China or worldwide, if you know English and can use it in your everyday life.
In this case, you will work 5 days per week too, but your free days may be in the middle of a week because usually adult students prefer to take classes in their free time and you will work on weekends.
Also, lessons in training centers typically start in the evening so you will have the opportunity to sleep enough and have time for yourself in the morning.
The essential advantage of working on weekends is that you will have free time when other people work.
So you can attend different touristic points and go to the beaches when these places are not overcrowded.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Xiamen?
Requirements and benefits may vary for different teaching jobs for foreigners in Xiamen, but here you can find the main of them:
1. 40 working hours per week (20-25 teaching hours)
2. 5/2 (free days may be in the middle of a week)
3. Create curriculum for English lessons
4. Attend teachers every week meetings
5. Check the progress with tests and exams and provide parents and students with results
6. Participation in school/kindergarten activities, create an English corner, etc.
7. From 20 to 50 students in public schools/kindergartens
8. From 5 to 30 in international private schools/kindergartens
We provide free housing for English teachers in Xiamen, so upon arriving at your workplace you will have free single bedroom apartment.
It is convenient because you can choose where to live checking photos of the different apartments and you don’t need to spend money on rent.
In other cases, your employer will provide you with a monthly allowance, and you can rent an apartment by yourself.
This option has its pros and cons because you can choose any district, but you will need to handle all questions with your landlord by yourself.
One more option is sharing an apartment with your colleague. Many foreign teachers prefer to live with another English teacher from your school because it this case employer provides you with a bigger flat.
In all cases, you will live in a cozy and spacious apartment with modern European or American interior and all features that you need for comfortable living.
Qualifications & Skills
Basic requirements to teach English in China may seem very low, but don’t forget, that extra experience and diplomas will get you better-paid positions.
- Bachelor’s degree will be a plus, but not necessary
- TEFL/TESOL (you can do certification upon school’s request while already teaching in China)
- No teaching experience is required
- Preferably a native speaker, or non-native with fluent English
- Ready to commit to a 12-month contract at least
- Open-minded, creative, patient and professional
Apply Now to Teach English in Xiamen
If you feel like this city might be the right place, send us this information, so that we could get back to you with a suitable offer:
- Recent photo
- Preferences (young students/adults, schedule)
- When you are able to start
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.
Get ready with your application today and teach English in Xiamen with one of the best schools in the area.