Teach English in Xi'an
With Ming-era city walls intact, vendors of all descriptions crowding the narrow lanes of the Muslim Quarter and enough places of interest to keep even the most diligent historian busy, Xi’an is the real mix of ancient and modern China many people are looking for.
It is where the Silk Road ended in the East and is home to the famed army of terracotta soldiers that belonged to the first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang.
So come to the city where old Chinese traditions meet a developing metropolis in spectacular fashion. Whether you’re looking to dive deep into the language, explore the museums, experience street food culture or get out into the countryside, there could not be a better place for you to live.
Even in a big city like Xi’an, the cost of living is quite low. It’s possible to eat out every night, live in a western-style apartment and travel on weekends. If you like to cook at home, you can visit any of the markets for fresh fruits and vegetables or a grocery store for all goods.
What Makes Xi'an Unique?
- Population: 12 million
- Public Transportation: 6 passenger railway stations (Xi’an North railway station is one of the 8 major stations in the country), 1 international airport, 4 subway lines, hundreds of bus routes & cheap taxis
- Language: Mandarin, local dialects
- Climate: Xian has a temperate climate, situated on the borderline between a semi-arid and subtropical climate.
Located centrally in China, teachers can access all corners of the country from this national hub.
A growing international airport continues to open routes all over Southeast Asia.
As China’s ancient capital Xi’an boasts a multitude of tourist sites including the Terracotta Warriors, the Muslim Quarter and the Big Goose Pagoda.
Taking inspiration from all over the country, Xi’an is famous for having one of the most diverse restaurant scenes in China.
The beautiful Hua mountain, just a one-hour journey out of the city, is one of China’s five sacred mountains.
A growing expat community makes for good nightlife with a range of bars and clubs to choose from.
Compensation and salary
- Salary up to 11,000 RMB (after taxes)
- Free accommodation (single apartment, fully furnished)
- Gas, water, Wi-Fi bills will be reimbursed after completion of the contract
- 11+13 paid national holidays
- Salary raise after 1 year of the contract up to 14,000 RMB
- Pickup at the airport, plus a guided tour around the city and your quarter
- Flight ticket reimbursement after contract completion
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Help with a bank account, taxes, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Pre-job training
- Support during your stay in China
- Assistance on getting any legal documents you might need
- Health insurance
- Free TEFL certification
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Xi'an
- Teach kids of 3-7 age
- 7-12 students in the class
- 15-25 teaching hours per week
- 10-15 office hours to prepare for classes
- Provide written lesson plans
- Use modern approaches and up-to-date technologies in class (watching films, listening and singing songs)
- Encourage students to start speaking and improve their listening skills
Qualifications & Requirements
- Native English speaker
- Bachelor's degree needed (any)
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to teach 3-7-year-old kids
- Willingness to stay with the school for at least 1 year
- Passion for teaching, indulgence, genuine interest for Chinese culture and an open mind
- Age: 18 - 45
We already have a reserved apartment for you, check the photos below:
Apply Now to Teach English in Xi'an
Send us the following information and we will contact you within 24 hours:
- Cover letter
- Your recent photo
- When you are ready to start
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.