Teach English in Zhengzhou
ESL Jobs in Zhengzhou
The capital of Henan province has everything you could wish for: pleasant climate, beautiful downtown, ancient monuments, and green spaces. In fact, it used to be the center of Kung Fu arts, so if you are interested in this part of Chinese culture, Zhengzhou might be the right place for you!
It’s easy to find well-paid positions for experienced teachers and first jobs for students in Zhengzhou, Henan, as the number of schools – both international and public – keeps increasing, thanks to the economic development of the region.
Currently, there are 65 training centers and over 220 public education institutions, where qualified mentors of all subjects are needed, especially those, who teach the English language.
The demand for it has grown lately, due to the development of the city and the role of international investors: about 70% of iPhones are manufactured in the Zhengzhou city!
This is why speaking English is a major factor for promotion and career possibilities, so many young adults want to learn the language and make their kids do so.
What Makes Zhengzhou Unique?
- Language: Mandarin + local dialects
- Population: over 10 million
- Public Transport: airport, 2 major train stations, subway (3 lines), buses, taxi
- Climate: subtropical with cool and dry winters
Many people abroad wonder where to teach English in China, while the answer is simple – Zhengzhou is the place! Those, who get work in Zhengzhou as an English teacher never complain, and it’s not only about the low cost of food and rent – it’s the comfort provided, the attitude and the atmosphere. This city is one of a kind: big enough to offer you all kinds of after work entertainment, full of sightseeing spots, relatively green and clean.
Cost of living
You see, the truth about teaching English in China is that you can afford a lot with relatively little money: although, your pay is not always extraordinary (unless you are a certified and experienced professional), it’s easy to get a comfortable life with lots of entertainment and trips if you teach at a school in Zhengzhou.
Plus, you’ll put some money by for the future. Normally, you’ll need around $400 or $500 per month, including cheap rent, but since teachers don’t pay for housing, you can live in a luxurious place for nothing at all.
With foreigners’ salaries, saving up to $1000 per month is a norm. Thrifty ones manage to save more by eating out less, but there is no need to do that unless you have some important plans after you finish teaching in Zhengzhou.
A chance to learn the language
As hearing English is rare anywhere outside Beijing and Shanghai, living here you get the chance to learn Mandarin (as you get free classes at the school) and practice it in your daily life.
If you don’t feel like studying, don’t worry, as most menus are dubbed in English and you can always use your smartphone to translate from and into Chinese.
Martial arts’ capital
Visit the Shaolin temple (1 hour away from the city center) to discover the history of Kung Fu and the practices of Chinese monks of the past. This martial art is 1,500 years old, and you can still see young boys training inside the temple.
Zen Buddhism and Kung Fu are two major traditions, so coming here is a unique chance to learn more about them. In fact, if you dream of learning to defend yourself in the Chinese style, you are welcome to any of the specialized schools, while you are living in Zhengzhou.
Food is truly delicious!
If this city is to be your first Chinese destination, eating out and trying local specialties is a must! The Kaifeng carp with fried noodles, the Luoyang water banquet soup, and Almond tea soup are among the most famous dishes of the Henan cuisine. Local style dishes are not very ‘exotic’ to Western taste, so Zhengzhou expats usually eat lots of those. Plus, they are truly delicious, fairly cheap ($7 for 3-course dinner) and copious!
Day trips to ancient cities
Most of the Great Ancient Capitals are located nearby, which is great for weekend trips while you are teaching English in Zhengzhou. In fact, the seventh one, Beijing, is only 8 hours away (or 2-3 hours by bullet train), so you can get there overnight, for $13 (or $45).
It feels fine
The Zhengzhou climate is one of the reasons, why many foreigners come here: although summers are hot and humid, as everywhere in the South and Central China, the weather is usually very pleasant and you won’t experience any harsh winters.
There is not much precipitation in winter, which makes it tolerable. 220 days per year are frost free.
Along with numerous tourist attractions, there are plenty of bars and restaurants to visit in the evening. Most of the best ones are situated on the Nongke and Weiyi roads.
There is the Century Amusement park for you, as well as the famous Henan Opera and Zhengzhou Opera, where you can enjoy the performance and meet some other employees hired for ESL jobs in Zhengzhou, sharing your passion.
Plus, don’t forget about annual festivals in the city, like the Kung Fu festival in September, the May Rose festival, not to mention the traditional New Year festivities.
Types of ESL Teaching Jobs in Zhengzhou
- Public schools
- International language centers
That’s where one can find enough jobs for foreigners in Zhengzhou, China. While some schools require extra qualifications like drama experience or hire exclusively native speakers, most of them accept open-minded applicants with good accent and fluent speaking, who want to try something new or practice teaching.
However, don’t forget, that you are not likely to teach English in Zhengzhou with no degree as it is now a government requirement for a work visa, but many foreigners get to teach English abroad without certification alright: most courses and establishments offer free online or on-site TEFL training.
It’s a great chance to get certified and save money, while still getting a fairly paid job with bonuses and all the benefits.
Another advantage is that an average vacancy for teaching English in primary schools in Zhengzhou will offer you almost as much, as a position at an international school, so consider this option, if you want to integrate more in the society, interact with more ordinary Chinese children and contribute to the language teaching methods, used at schools.
For those, who teach English in China, salary is usually on the same level with slight modifications for more expensive regions or cities.
In Henan province, minimum wages are around 6,000 – 7,000 RMB ($800 – $1,000), but a qualified specialist can earn up to 13,000 – 14, 000 RMB ($2,000) per month, which is extraordinary, compared to the amount you’ll be spending on food, shopping, and fun.
Is it possible to teach adults in Zhengzhou? Sure!
But be ready for a slightly different schedule, since adults only have time in the evening and on weekends, so you won’t have days off on Saturday and Sunday, and will have to work till 9 pm.
Your colleagues from public schools normally work Monday-Friday till 4 pm or 5 pm, but wake up earlier to start classes at 8 am.
What to expect from your role as an English teacher in Zhengzhou
- 18-20 classes per week
- Maximum 10 hours of teaching-related work
- Public school jobs in Zhengzhou offer exclusively 40-45-minute classes
- Weekends off/2 fixed days off per week
- 18-20 students in class at international schools/up to 50 in state institutions
- Enhance speaking and listening skills
- Ensure the equal participation of everyone
- Use modern methods, games and fun activities
- Use authentic audio and video materials, provided by the school
- Provide feedback on tests and homework
- Attend school events and workshops
Compensation and salary
Although, there might be plenty of work and requirements, teaching jobs for foreigners in Zhengzhou are always highly remunerative. Those, who teach English abroad, get high salaries plus extra bonuses, awards for hard work and contract completion.
- Salary up to 14,000 RMB (depends on your schedule, experience, level of English etc.) and up to 4000 RMB for extra classes
- Free accommodation
- Help with visa and documentation
- 11+13 days off per school year
- Flight ticket reimbursement after the end of the contract (the amount should not exceed 3000 RMB)
- 7000 RMB contract completion bonus
- Visa fee reimbursement after 9 months of the contract
- Airport pickup
- Welcome pack (monthly transport ticket, SIM card, health assurance etc.)
- Guided tour around Beijing + tip about where to go in your district
- Loyalty bonus for each subsequent contract with the school
- Referral bonuses per person (if a new teacher is hired through your recommendation)
- Performance bonuses
- Summer class bonuses (per month): 500 RMB
- Help with everything related to bureaucracy or medicine
- Help with a bank account, taxes, paying bills, interacting with officials and doctors (if needed)
- Well-equipped classrooms
- Teaching resources and materials
- Coaching, workshops, class reviews and mutual observation
- TEFL certificate (if needed)
Perhaps, one of the main advantages of teaching English as a foreign language in China is free accommodation and low cost of living in general.
Both state and international school Zhengzhou jobs provide comfortable apartments for their foreign employees, which can save you extra dollars every month and let you travel or buy more.
Rent in Zhengzhou is extremely cheap – more than 290% lower, than in Shanghai! This means, that you can easily get a luxurious 2 or 3-bedroom place in the city center for as little as $515 per month.
- You can live with your family, teaching English at a Chinese school, and your school will pay for a bigger apartment.
- It is possible to opt for a high-class place and share it with other teachers from abroad or live alone.
- You don’t have to pay for anything.
- An agent will send you pictures of suitable places to choose from. All apartments are situated in safe and friendly areas with lots of attractions, shopping centers, supermarkets, and restaurants. The school won’t be too far either.
Qualifications & Skills
Unlike other ESL recruitment agencies and schools, we do not require you to have academic degree, TEFL/TESOL certificate or teaching experience. If you are fluent in English and want to teach kids or adults in China, you are welcome to apply and we will find you a teaching position in Guangzhou.
Basic requirements to teach English in China are not hard to meet:
- English language fluency in speaking, reading, and writing
- Willingness to stay with the school for 12 or 15 months
- Creativity, diligence, good communication skills, patience and interest for Chinese culture,
- You can earn more and apply for better positions if you have TEFL with at least 120 hours of experience (but you can do certification after your arrival or online)
- Age: 18 - 45
Apply Now to Teach English in Zhengzhou
What do you say? If it sounds interesting to you, contact us and we will get back to you within 24 hours, offering a few schools, where you could teach in Zhengzhou. For this, we will need the following documents:
- Your CV
- Cover letter
- Recent photo of you
- Preferences for schedule and students (age)
When are you able to start?
Apply today at [email protected] (clickable email to write us right away) or fill out the form below.